[PlanetCCRMA] introductory question. . . .

Sat Jun 24 13:17:01 2006

Hmmm, ignore my previous answer for now and read on (although the
dependency problem should be fixed):

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 18:20 -0600, Brian Heinrich wrote:
> I've managed to make progress since getting the computer on-line, but
> still have some questions/concerns.
>
> I looked into modprobe.conf, which read:
>
>     alias eth0 8139too
>     install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
>     /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
>     alias snd-card-1 snd-ice7112
>     install snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 &&
>     /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
>     remove snd-ice1712 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
>     }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ice1712
>     alias usb-controller uhci-hcd

Looks good.

But you should notice that your ice1712 card is the _second_ card. You
will have to point whatever app you want to use to it (usually
everything defaults to the first soundcard which is in your mobo in this
case).

> After running alsaconf, I got this weird message:
>
>     Restoring sound driver settings /usr/bin/alsactl: load_state: 1272:
>     No soundcards found. . . .

That should be fine, you have not stored settings yet.

> Going back to modprobe.conf, the following lines were added:
>
>     # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
>     # --- ALSACONF version 1.0.9rc1 ---
>     alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
>     alias sound-slot-0 snd-ice1712
>     # -- END: Generate by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
>

> When I ran alsamixer, I got the same error as before --
>
>     alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
>     directory

No, this error is different, see below.
Also, you should run "alsamixer -c 1" to access the second card.

> -- , but I was able to run envy24control.

Then the soundcard kernel module is loaded and alsa is running.
You may have a device problem, so first check the basics:

Is alsa started?
  cat /proc/asound/cards
that should list your mobo card and the envy24control card
which should have devices for both cards:
  cat /proc/asound/devices

What do you see in /dev/snd/?
  ls -l /dev/snd/*

> There's one other interesting thing in all of this:  I can't adjust the
> (system) volume control.  Or more to the point, I can move the slider,
> but it always returns to zero.  That might explain why I can't get any
> sound. :-P

Not necesarily. The generic "volume control" app will not find any
"generic" control in your envy24control based card. If envy24control
sees it then you should be fine - I imagine you set the output analog
volume controls in envy24control, right?

> It might also be worth pointing out that I later looked at modprobe.conf
> again, and it now read:
>
>     alias eth0 8139too
>     install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
>     /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
>     alias snd-card-1 snd-ice7112
>     alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
>     # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
>     # --- ALSACONF version 1.0.9rc1 ---
>     alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
>     # -- END: Generate by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

Yes, alsaconf is erasing the lines that the fedora configurator added.

-- Fernando