[PlanetCCRMA] stuck!! nvidia & ccrma

csynan csynan@dataworlds.com
Sat Jun 24 09:09:02 2006

------_SmarterMail_NextPart_5021524114848347

Friends, I desperately need some help or advice.  I have been using linux e=
xclusively at home since RH6 and this is by FAR the most frustrated I have =
ever been.  Since upgrading to FC5 my system has been all messed up.  I hav=
e been struggling with this for two weeks.  =0D=0A=0D=0AFC5 ccrma works fin=
e, but I just can't get nvidia drivers working.  And it even seems to break=
 other things.  I have tried rdt and rrt kernels.  I have tried building nv=
idia the way I always have.  After editing xorg.conf (and loading the modul=
e) it wont start X.  even when I change the driver back to "nv", when gnome=
 finally starts (takes like 180 sec), it is all messed up and my windows do=
n't have a title bar, they are all fixed to the top of the screen.=0D=0A=0D=
=0AIf I use the regular FC5 kernel I can get the livna kernel module to wor=
k, but then I have no ALSA.  =0D=0A=0D=0AI even tried ubuntu, but I could n=
ot get my echoaudio stuff working, even when i built it myself & it loaded =
properly into the kernel (showed up in lsmod), echomixer still said "no ech=
oaudio cards found, sorry".  Now I am back on my 8th reinstall of FC5, and =
once again, I am stuck.  Right now I am back to rrt kernel, and gnome is al=
l messed up under "nv" and no GLX.=0D=0A=0D=0APlease someone give me some d=
irection.  Any solution that gives me nvidia drivers, and realtime kernel, =
and alsa-firmware / alsa-drivers would be great.  I had all this working fi=
ne in CCRMA / FC4, so i know it can be done.=0D=0A=0D=0AOne other thing, wh=
en I run the nvidia installer, after it builds, there are a bunch of garble=
d messages spewing across the screen, looks like it has to do with SELinux =
because it is saying "granted" and "denied" and stuff like that.  My guess =
is something the nvidia installer is trying to do is running afoul of SELin=
ux and SElinux is not letting the necessary change take place.  maybe i wil=
l try disabling SELInux and see if that fixes it.  =0D=0A=0D=0Athanks in ad=
vance for any pointers or help.  =0D=0A

------_SmarterMail_NextPart_5021524114848347

<nando@ccrma.stanford.edu><bjay@safe-mail.net><planetccrma@ccrma.stanford.e=
du><link@sumerianbabyl.com><feffer777@yahoo.com><nando@ccrma.stanford.edu><=
mircobeaker@gawab.com><planetccrma@ccrma.stanford.edu>Friends, I desperatel=
y need some help or advice.&nbsp; I have been using linux exclusively at ho=
me since RH6 and this is by FAR the most frustrated I have ever been.&nbsp;=
 Since upgrading to FC5 my system has been all messed up.&nbsp; I have been=
 struggling with this for two weeks.&nbsp; <br /><br />FC5 ccrma works fine=
, but I just can't get nvidia drivers working.&nbsp; And it even seems to b=
reak other things.&nbsp; I have tried rdt and rrt kernels.&nbsp; I have tri=
ed building nvidia the way I always have.&nbsp; After editing xorg.conf (an=
d loading the module) it wont start X.&nbsp; even when I change the driver =
back to "nv", when gnome finally starts (takes like 180 sec), it is all mes=
sed up and my windows don't have a title bar, they are all fixed to the top=
 of the screen.<br /><br />If I use the regular FC5 kernel I can get the li=
vna kernel module to work, but then I have no ALSA.&nbsp; <br /><br />I eve=
n tried ubuntu, but I could not get my echoaudio stuff working, even when i=
 built it myself &amp; it loaded properly into the kernel (showed up in lsm=
od), echomixer still said "no echoaudio cards found, sorry".&nbsp; Now I am=
 back on my 8th reinstall of FC5, and once again, I am stuck.&nbsp; Right n=
ow I am back to rrt kernel, and gnome is all messed up under "nv" and no GL=
X.<br /><br />Please someone give me some direction.&nbsp; Any solution tha=
t gives me nvidia drivers, and realtime kernel, and alsa-firmware / alsa-dr=
ivers would be great.&nbsp; I had all this working fine in CCRMA / FC4, so =
i know it can be done.<br /><br />One other thing, when I run the nvidia in=
staller, after it builds, there are a bunch of garbled messages spewing acr=
oss the screen, looks like it has to do with SELinux because it is saying "=
granted" and "denied" and stuff like that.&nbsp; My guess is something the =
nvidia installer is trying to do is running afoul of SELinux and SElinux is=
 not letting the necessary change take place.&nbsp; maybe i will try disabl=
ing SELInux and see if that fixes it.&nbsp; <br /><br />thanks in advance f=
or any pointers or help.&nbsp; <br /></planetccrma@ccrma.stanford.edu></mir=
cobeaker@gawab.com></nando@ccrma.stanford.edu></feffer777@yahoo.com></link@=
sumerianbabyl.com></planetccrma@ccrma.stanford.edu></bjay@safe-mail.net></n=
ando@ccrma.stanford.edu>