[PlanetCCRMA] introductory question. . . .

Brian Heinrich manager@ckxu.com
Fri Jun 23 17:20:01 2006

--------------030609000301010403060306

I've managed to make progress since getting the computer on-line, but
still have some questions/concerns.

I looked into modprobe.conf, which read:

    alias eth0 8139too
    install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
    /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
    alias snd-card-1 snd-ice7112
    install snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 &&
    /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
    remove snd-ice1712 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
    }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ice1712
    alias usb-controller uhci-hcd

After running alsaconf, I got this weird message:

    Restoring sound driver settings /usr/bin/alsactl: load_state: 1272:
    No soundcards found. . . .

Going back to modprobe.conf, the following lines were added:

    # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
    # --- ALSACONF version 1.0.9rc1 ---
    alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-ice1712
    # -- END: Generate by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

When I ran alsamixer, I got the same error as before --

    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
    directory

-- , but I was able to run envy24control.

There's one other interesting thing in all of this:  I can't adjust the
(system) volume control.  Or more to the point, I can move the slider,
but it always returns to zero.  That might explain why I can't get any
sound. :-P

It might also be worth pointing out that I later looked at modprobe.conf
again, and it now read:

    alias eth0 8139too
    install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
    /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
    alias snd-card-1 snd-ice7112
    alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
    # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
    # --- ALSACONF version 1.0.9rc1 ---
    alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
    # -- END: Generate by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

(That is, the lines begining |install snd-ice1712| and |remove
snd-ice1712| as well as the second alsaconf-generated line are missing.)

Does anyone have an idea about this? -- I'd really like to be able to
get this up and running sooner rather than later. . . .

/b.

On 06/23/2006 01:46 PM (-0600 UTC), Brian Heinrich wrote:

> I'm hoping I might be able to clarify some of what's going on by
> replying to some of the suggestions that have been made.
>
> First off, the soundcard is definitely supported
> (<http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-MAudio#matrix>)
> and when I look at the list of hardware in FC 3, the driver is listed.
>
> If I try to do |apt-get -o Acquire::cdrom::mount=/media/cdrecorder
> install planetccrma-core|, I get
>
>    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>          planetccrma-core: Depends: also-lib-devel ( =
>    1.0.9-0.1.rc1.rhfc3.ccrma)
>        but it is not going to be installed
>    E: Broken packages
>

> |modinfo soundcore| goes nowhere.
>
> |alsamixer| gets me
>
>    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
>    directory
>

> |/sbin/lsmod| gets me something very different than what one
> respondent suggested.  (I'm assuming there was a switch or something
> missing. . . .)
>
> |/usr/sbin/alsaconf| results in 'No such file or directory'.  And
> indeed there isn't such a file in /usr/sbin, tho' there is a symlink
> to alsactl.
>
> Don't know if this additional info helps clarify anything. . . .
>
> /b.

<snip />

--
Brian Heinrich <manager@ckxu.com>  *  Station Manager  *  CKXU 88.3 FM
[office] 403.329.2180  *  [cell] 403.331.9122  *  <http://ckxu.com/>

Showcasing, enhancing, and promoting southern Alberta's diversity.

--------------030609000301010403060306

begin:vcard
fn:Brian Heinrich
n:Heinrich;Brian
org:CKXU Radio Society
adr:;;SU162 4401 University Drive;Lethbridge;AB;T1K 3M4;CANADA
email;internet:manager@ckxu.com
title:Station Manager
tel;work:1 (403) 329 2180
tel;fax:1 (403) 329 2224