[PlanetCCRMA] introductory question. . . .

Brian Heinrich manager@ckxu.com
Fri Jun 23 12:46:00 2006

--------------080501040100080706020403

I'm hoping I might be able to clarify some of what's going on by
replying to some of the suggestions that have been made.

First off, the soundcard is definitely supported
(<http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-MAudio#matrix>)
and when I look at the list of hardware in FC 3, the driver is listed.

If I try to do |apt-get -o Acquire::cdrom::mount=/media/cdrecorder
install planetccrma-core|, I get

          planetccrma-core: Depends: also-lib-devel ( =
    1.0.9-0.1.rc1.rhfc3.ccrma)
        but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages

|modinfo soundcore| goes nowhere.

|alsamixer| gets me

    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
    directory

|/sbin/lsmod| gets me something very different than what one respondent
suggested.  (I'm assuming there was a switch or something missing. . . .)

|/usr/sbin/alsaconf| results in 'No such file or directory'.  And indeed
there isn't such a file in /usr/sbin, tho' there is a symlink to alsactl.

Don't know if this additional info helps clarify anything. . . .

/b.

On 06/21/2006 09:25 PM (-0600 UTC), Brian Heinrich wrote:

<snip />

> Because we're running a pirated version of Windows -- and because I'd
> rather keep good relations with IT -- , I'd originally hoped to keep
> the machine off-line, but it's increasingly looking like that's not
> going to be possible, because of some problems I've encountered in
> trying to go the FC 3/CCRMA route.  Not being able to get stuff to
> install, for instance.  (There was a problem with ALSA and a further
> problem with the third-party drivers for the sound card.)  That I
> haven't been able to get any sound hasn't been particularly helpful
> either.
>
> Our set-up consists of a 1.4 GHz P-IV with 768 MB of PC133 RAM, a 300
> GB Seagate IDE drive, and an M-Audio Delta 1010LT sound card.
> Although the 1010LT lacks balanced outputs, it does have two balanced
> inputs that are mic/line switchable and don't require a separate mic pre.

<snip />

--
Brian Heinrich <manager@ckxu.com>  *  Station Manager  *  CKXU 88.3 FM
[office] 403.329.2180  *  [cell] 403.331.9122  *  <http://ckxu.com/>

Showcasing, enhancing, and promoting southern Alberta's diversity.

--------------080501040100080706020403

begin:vcard
fn:Brian Heinrich
n:Heinrich;Brian
org:CKXU Radio Society
adr:;;SU162 4401 University Drive;Lethbridge;AB;T1K 3M4;CANADA
email;internet:manager@ckxu.com
title:Station Manager
tel;work:1 (403) 329 2180
tel;fax:1 (403) 329 2224