[PlanetCCRMA] FC5 jamin & ta

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 20:35:01 2006

Hi Ron,
   Just my 2 cents...

   As a plugin it can be placed within an Ardour session, automated in
a standard way instead of a Jamin specific way, and all of it's
settings maintained with the CD audio in one place instead of many.

   If you were to place all CD audio in a single session, place Jamin
within that session, and then do all work required to create the audio
you want for the session, then it's all in one place, hooked up and
ready to go. As an external app it remains just that - external. It
requires that when you want to rework something you must hook it up
again which takes time and is more error prone. Granted, some sort of
LASH environment could help, but what's the point of making it any
more difficult that it needs to be?

   As for the CPU requirement, unless Jamin as a plugin uses more CPU
than Jamin as a stand-alone app, and maybe it does since folks are
arguing so vociferously against this, it seems to me that 88% CPU
outside of Ardour or 88% inside of Ardour is still 88%. Either the
machine can handle it or it cannot. We saw this with the Waves stuff
over and over before Waves optimized their mastering plugins. Some
machines can do it while others cannot.

   Anyway, as I said in the firs sentence, just my 2 cents...

Cheers,
Mark