[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Fedora Core 5 installation nightmare

mazarick@bellsouth.net mazarick@bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 19 12:58:01 2006

One thing I remember from FC4 (non-PlanetCCRMA) was that when it first came out, you had to go into a non-graphical mode to get it to install if you had a certain type of video card.   It was called 'the White Screen of Death" because it behaved similarly to a MS Blue Screen of death.  (it wasn't the same because the machine wasn't really "frozen" but you couldn't tell that because the screen was all white).  This eventually got fixed with a patch to the video graphics driver that you had to install in non-graphics mode before you got X running.  I don't know if this is similar to your situation, but it sounds similar.   I hope this helps.  If it is the same, you can find more info and a way out of the situation by googling "white screen of death".

Regards,

Mike Mazarick