[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 5 Kernel Installation Nightmare

Sun Jun 18 18:32:02 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 23:24 +0200, mariacallas wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I reinstalled fedora core 5 from scratch and followed the procedure to
> install planet ccrma first thing after the first reboot, without
> updating the system.
>
> Good thing:
> I had no problems installing ccrma kernels.
>
> Bad thing:
> None of said kernels work. Now they *freeze* near the beginning of the
> system initialization. I think it's when the graphic progress bar is
> started but can't be sure.

Sorry to hear that. What kind of hardware are you running on?

It may be possible to see a bit more of what's happening if you turn off
the graphical boot, I don't know how familiar you are with the boot
process but you can edit the kernel command line, either when you are
booting (when the first grub screen comes up press any key to see the
kernels, then highlight the kernel you want to boot, press "e" to edit
the entry, highlight the kernel boot line, press "e" again and delete
the "rhgb quiet" at the end of the line), or while booted into another
kernel by editing the /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

If you can't boot then most probably there is some bug in the realtime
preemption patch that is tickled by your particular hardware
configuration.

-- Fernando