[PlanetCCRMA] avr-binutils vs. binutils???

Tue Jun 13 12:45:02 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 14:13 -0400, Brutus Gates wrote:
> I'm using Fedora Core 3 with apt.
>
> What the heck is the difference between:
>
> avr-binutils and binutils (which I already have installed)
> avr-gcc and gcc (which I already have installed)
> avr-gcc-c++  (WHICH DOES NOT SEEM TO EXIST IN THE REPOSITORY)

The avr-* utilities are cross compilers and other stuff to compile small
programs into binaries you can later download to an external
microcontroller (using uisp or avrdude, I think).

> Can I install avr-binutils and avr-gcc and not have a conflict with
> binutils and gcc if and when I start compiling C code for AVRs?

Sure, they are completely independent.
-- Fernando