[PlanetCCRMA] FC5 update question for Fernando

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Mon Jun 5 02:36:01 2006

Hi,

I've been playing around with fedora 5, installing a lot of stuff from the fedora extra's, and usually having a fun time with it.

I've installed all of the ccrma packages and the edge kernels, and everything seems to be working quite well.  I have the fedora extras and ccrma repositories set up to use with yum and yumex.

The question I have is that when I do the command line "yum update", it wants to update the three jack-audio-connection files from -0.101.0-02.cvs.rhfc5.ccrma to -0.101.1-9.fc5 and I am wondering what to do?  Because I tend to use yumex, I updated other things but left the jack stuff alone.

Maybe I'm a little paranoid(something to do with tying to stay on top of all of the security and anti-intrusion stuff) but I try to keep the audio stuff on the machine as close as I can to the ccrma sub-distro.  I feel that at least if something dosen't work I can present a decent bug report to the mailing list.

So, is it safe to update something as important as jack to a non ccrma package?  Is there any way of getting the packager's info of the new jack without downloading it first?  Yumex dosen't show any info of who put it together and what it fixes(if needed).  I know that the jack packages that you(Fernando) have put together have patches to fix some of the deeper issues with some of the higher end machines, and I wonder if the "updated" non-cvs/non-ccrma have these fixes in them?

I already know that certain other things like the alsa libraries have been updated from their original install, and the alsa-* packages have all sorts of varying degrees of levels.  I'm just wondering if having the fedora extras(and updates) repos enabled is ok for a stable working audio production machine?

Thanks for listening.

Tracey.