[PlanetCCRMA] major corruption

Sun Jun 4 21:29:01 2006

[sorry for the delay, back from a short trip]
On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 14:22 -0700, R Parker wrote:
> > You don't say but I presume this is on Fedora Core
> > 3?
>
> Correct.
>
> > What is the history of the machine? New install?
> > Testing?
>
> It's a production machine that's been running Planet
> CCRMA on FC3 for over a year.

And then what exactly happened that broke it? For a time dated list of
recent package installs try:

  rpm -q -a --last

> >Exactly which kernel is failing and how?
>
> I don't know the exact kernel version numbers;
> 2.6.12???. It's whatever the latest is from Planet
> CCRMA.

Is this the one?
  kernel-2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma
Is there a Planet CCRMA kernel that is working correctly on that
machine?

>  What about the subject,
> > are you saying that
> > data got corrupted?
>
> Booting into the Planet CCRMA kernel fails to load
> eth,  USB, and alot of other stuff. Alsasound can't
> start because snd_usb_audio doesn't load. Booting into
> 2.6.9-1.667 results in all the appropriate modules
> being loaded.

Could you check that the installed kernel that fails to load modules is
intact? You could verify the integrity of the installed package by doing
this:

  rpm -V kernel-INSERT_EXACT_VERSION_HERE

What are the contents of /etc/modprobe.conf?
-- Fernando