[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora Core 5 Kernel Install issues

Mon Jul 17 22:23:01 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 21:39 -0700, Fred Riahi wrote:
> Last suggestion was to clean up the internal yum state - but I never got
> feedback on whether it worked or not. See "man yum" and go to the "clean
> options" section. I would try "yum clean metadata" first (this will
> reload all the metadata from the servers which could take a while on
> slow links). Please let us know if any of this helps...
>
> -- Fernando

> I attempted "yum clean metadata", but when I tried to install the core
> kernel from Planet CCRMA, it stated that a newer version kernel had
> already been installed. So it brings us back to the previous step.

I have been investigating the issue and finally found a solution. It
involves patching yum to add a new configuration option that will allow
older packages to be installed to satisfy dependencies. It works in the
tests I have done on fc5.

I just emailed the yum mailing list with the patch to see what feedback
I get. I can release a patched version of yum for fc5 but I'd prefer to
wait a bit just in case there's a better solution.

Sorry it took me so long to get to look at this problem in detail.
-- Fernando