[PlanetCCRMA] more questions. . . .

Brian Heinrich manager@ckxu.com
Sat Jul 1 21:45:01 2006

--------------080401060708060907050609

On 01.07.06 21:34 (-0600 UTC), Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 16:22 -0600, Brian Heinrich wrote:

<snip />

>> 1.  I don't recall if I had to do this before doing the re-install, but
>> every time I boot into Linux, I find myself running alsaconf in order to
>> get MIDI.
>>

> I can't remember which version of fedora you have installed, [ . . . ]

FC 3.  (I'll remember to specify in future. . . .)

> [ . . . ] if you are
> having that problem you could activate the alsasound startup script,
> which will explicitly start the alsa sequencer (as root):
>
>   /sbin/chkconfig alsasound on
>
> (to check the state: "/sbin/chkconfig --list alsasound")

Thank-you.  (And I feel spectacularly stupid now, as I realise that this
is actually indicated in the installation notes. . . . :-[ )

>> [. . . .] Fernando had
>> suggested that 'alsactl store' 'will store the current (not necessarily
>> the right) settings of the card - in the /etc/asound.conf file.'  Could
>> someone clarify this?  FWIU, it would mean that we wouldn't have to run
>> alsamixer or envy24control every time someone boots into Linux.
>>

> That should not be necessary. If you do a "/usr/sbin/alsactl store" when
> the setting are as you like [ . . . ]

Are there any sorts of guidelines/suggestions regarding input/output
levels? or does it tend to be by ear/feel?

> [ . . . ] they should be reloaded on a reboot.
> Depending on the fedora version you may need to enable the alsasound
> script as before.
>

>> [. . . .] Audacity
>> takes about 10 seconds to launch (as opposed to Ardour's two seconds)
>> and there's about a three-second delay between pressing play and getting
>> playback.  Is this something that could be addressed through oss2jack?
>>

> Depending on which version of audacity you have it may have alsa
> support, if it has it it should show up in the preferences menu.

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't check the version, but I did
an 'apt-get update' after (re)installing FC 3 a couple days ago.

There's an I/O drop-down menu, but it's fixed to /dev/dsp.  Someone else
suggested 'rebuild[ing] Audacity with jack support'.  Are the
instructions at <http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2004/07/0065.html>
accurate? -- if so, I'm certainly willing to give it a try. . . .

>> 4.  I was delighted with the sound quality of ALSA that I was getting
>> through Ardour, but less than impressed by the OSS sound of Audacity.
>> There's no GUI way to change it to use ALSA, but I'm wondering about
>> editing ~.audacity to so that the input device is /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c and
>> the playback device is /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p.  Is that doable?
>>

> Depends on the version, I think, which one do you have?

I can't check right now 'cos I'm at home, but this is a fresh install
that I up-dated a couple days ago.

Thanks for the help, Fernando.

/b.

--
Brian Heinrich <manager@ckxu.com>  *  Station Manager  *  CKXU 88.3 FM
[office] 403.329.2180  *  [cell] 403.331.9122  *  <http://ckxu.com/>

Showcasing, enhancing, and promoting southern Alberta's diversity.

--------------080401060708060907050609

begin:vcard
fn:Brian Heinrich
n:Heinrich;Brian
org:CKXU Radio Society
adr:;;SU162 4401 University Drive;Lethbridge;AB;T1K 3M4;CANADA
email;internet:manager@ckxu.com
title:Station Manager
tel;work:1 (403) 329 2180
tel;fax:1 (403) 329 2224