[PlanetCCRMA] more questions. . . .

Sat Jul 1 20:35:03 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 16:22 -0600, Brian Heinrich wrote:
> It's becoming clear that people here would rather spend money on a
> Windows licence and monolithic Windows apps than make the switch to
> Linux -- because they're familiar with Doze and apparently have brains
> that are full and are incapable of taking in any additional knowledge.
>
> This means that there are some issues that I need to address:
>
> 1.  I don't recall if I had to do this before doing the re-install, but
> every time I boot into Linux, I find myself running alsaconf in order to
> get MIDI.

I can't remember which version of fedora you have installed, if you are
having that problem you could activate the alsasound startup script,
which will explicitly start the alsa sequencer (as root):

  /sbin/chkconfig alsasound on

(to check the state: "/sbin/chkconfig --list alsasound")

> 2.  That alsamixer doesn't save state is an irritant.  Fernando had
> suggested that 'alsactl store' 'will store the current (not necessarily
> the right) settings of the card - in the /etc/asound.conf file.'  Could
> someone clarify this?  FWIU, it would mean that we wouldn't have to run
> alsamixer or envy24control every time someone boots into Linux.

That should not be necessary. If you do a "/usr/sbin/alsactl store" when
the setting are as you like they should be reloaded on a reboot.
Depending on the fedora version you may need to enable the alsasound
script as before.

> 3.  While I'm more interested in Ardour than Audacity, that seems to be
> the one most people are interested in -- perhaps because they know it
> 'cos it has some penetration in the Windows world.  However, Audacity
> takes about 10 seconds to launch (as opposed to Ardour's two seconds)
> and there's about a three-second delay between pressing play and getting
> playback.  Is this something that could be addressed through oss2jack?

Depending on which version of audacity you have it may have alsa
support, if it has it it should show up in the preferences menu.

> 4.  I was delighted with the sound quality of ALSA that I was getting
> through Ardour, but less than impressed by the OSS sound of Audacity.
> There's no GUI way to change it to use ALSA, but I'm wondering about
> editing ~.audacity to so that the input device is /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c and
> the playback device is /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p.  Is that doable?

Depends on the version, I think, which one do you have?
-- Fernando