[PlanetCCRMA] advice on upgrade from fc1 to fc4 request

Mon Jan 30 16:18:00 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 18:08 -0600, Tom Poe wrote:
> I have completed an upgrade from fc1 to fc4, using a 4 CD set from
> Cheapbytes.  All appears OK.  I now want to upgrade CCRMA to fc4.  Where
> is the best place to find steps to take?  Has anyone else done this?
> Can someone point me in the right direction?  I checked the planetccrma
> instructions, even tried a quick rpm -Uvh . .. apt for fc4, but ran into
> dependencies issues for synaptic fc1 version that is installed.  So, I'm
> thinking maybe yum is the way to go?  Any advice appreciated.

Hmmm, I have not tried an upgrade in a long time...

Anyway. You probably should compile a list of installed "leftover"
packages that were installed in fc1. If you only had Planet CCRMA
software then something like this should do it:

  rpm -q -a|grep rhfc1 >fc1-packages.txt
(a list of packages will be written to the text file)

You mention dependency problems when trying to install the fc4 apt
program, what the exact error messages? If it is saying that something
else needs the libraries provided by the old apt, then just erase that
package (and write it down so that you can add the fc4 version later).
As you say, synaptic is probably the only one, so do "rpm -e synaptic"
and then try to install the fc4 version of apt.

After that is in place the first thing I'd do is an:
  apt-get check
That will verify that all packages you have currently installed in the
machine have all their dependencies met. If the output signals a
conflict or conflicts we'll have to see what's the best way to resolve
it/them.

Once the dependencies are clean you could try an "apt-get dist-upgrade"
just to see what packages could be upgraded. Or "apt-get install" all
the fc1 packages identified by the first list.

-- Fernando