[PlanetCCRMA] Upgrading to FC4

Matthew McCabe mccabem@ufl.edu
Tue Jan 24 08:35:02 2006

hi andrew & everyone -

i'm new :)   i've been undertaking the install for the last couple of days
when i have some free time.

the only troubles i ran into were a few package dependencies that are a
bit mismatched with the ones that installed from my FC4 DVD -- i ended up
with two installed versions of vixie-cron, hal, and a couple of other
things (for some reason) which i had to fix with rpm -e.

i actually ended up using the edgecore kernel which seems to be working
OK.  it boots, and i got all the packages installed over the net.  there
are a few notes on FC4 on the website:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installtwosix.html

the only trouble is, my soundcard isn't working :)  i have a SB AWE64 gold
ISA card and though the GNOME soundcard detector and alsaconf pick up the
fact that it's there, i can't seem to get it working properly.  i know
it's old, but if anybody has any suggestions they'd be welcome...

-matt

--
matthew mccabe <mccabem@ufl.edu>
ph.d. student :: music composition :: university of florida