[PlanetCCRMA] Latest ccrma FC3 kernel: 2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma?

eviltwin69@cableone.net eviltwin69@cableone.net
Fri Jan 6 07:04:01 2006

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 03:19 , Tracey Hytry <shakti@bayarea.net> sent:

>Brad said, then Fernando said:
>
>> I don't really know which one will have the best performance for audio
>> work, probably the rdt kernel.
>
>I run FC3 and get good results on the machines with the
2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma kernel.

>I wouldn't mind trying out a newer one and put it through the paces on FC3 though.
>
>We have been doing a lot of testing of kernels on FC4 both on this
machine(athlon64 stock 32 bit FC4 and planet setup), and on a AMD dual core(abit
AN8 ultra MB, 2 gig ram).  Besides testing the audio side of things(like the jack
problems) we've been testing the compatibilty with the nvidia drivers.  We get
most of the same results as Fernando has posted, and it can be very frustrating
to see a high end machine go "to hell in a hand basket" trying to do low latency
audio.

>So far the 2.6.12-0.21.rdt for FC4 works about the same as the 2.6.13.. one that
Fernando put out.  We have been getting a lot of problems with 2.6.14-0.10.rrt on
FC4.  All of these have better audio latency then any stock FC4 kernel(2.6.12
through 2.6.14) if that helps?

>You can pretty much forget about running the nvidia drivers on any kernel with
premption because the nvidia driver seems to like to hold locks too often.  One
of my more favorite lines is from the kernel where it tries to be polite with the
nvidia driver:

    Interesting, I haven't had any problems with 2.6.14-0.10.rrt on FC4 (Athlon
64) using the NVIDIA driver.  I did have some lock up problems using the Xorg nv
driver though.  I have not had a repeat since I loaded the NVIDIA driver.

Jan