[PlanetCCRMA] CCRMA kernel oops & RT SPINLOCK declare question

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Sun Feb 26 04:07:02 2006

thewade says:

> I figured I would catch some heat for this particular problem, but it
> seems to me that I can either have (basicaly) no hardware acceleration
> for my graphics card or use a binary-only driver.

I wrote up my experiences with the nvidia drivers somewhere a while back.  We did a fair amount of reading the various forums where people were having trouble running the nvidia drivers on the newer linux kernels.

It seemed back then that nvidia was trying to blame the kernel folks, and well, we all know what most kernel developers feel about closed binary drivers...

Maybe I'm a bit biased, and I tend to side with the kernel folks on this;  after the tests I did I don't have a lot of good things to say about nvidia's drivers.

Even though it's been a few weeks now since I stayed up too late a few nights testing things and reading /var/log/this_and_that;  I still remember the few choice words I had for the vidio card people.

Anyway, I think the kernel will keep on evolving toward a system where resources can really be shared and the user will have better control if they need it.  This means that nvidia, ati, etc will have to learn that linux isn't the uSoft world where you can lock up the processor for long periods doing only what they want.

Don't expect me to flame you on this, because I don't like to reboot this machine more then every other month just so I can play music on it and play World of Warcraft* on it.  So I run the nvidia drivers and expect to get the lowest latency audio that I can tweak out of it.  Most of the time it works pretty well if I'm carefull even.

Tracey.

*One of my favorite tests is to log a character into ironforge in WoW using a 1280x1024 box and drag it violently around my 1920x1200 desktop while trying to get xruns out of a jack session.