[PlanetCCRMA] CCRMA kernel oops & RT SPINLOCK declare question

thewade pdman@aproximation.org
Sun Feb 26 08:55:03 2006

Quoting Tracey Hytry <shakti@bayarea.net>:

> thewade says:
>
>> I figured I would catch some heat for this particular problem, but it
>> seems to me that I can either have (basicaly) no hardware acceleration
>> for my graphics card or use a binary-only driver.
>
> It seemed back then that nvidia was trying to blame the kernel folks,
> and well, we all know what most kernel developers feel about closed
> binary drivers...
>
> Maybe I'm a bit biased, and I tend to side with the kernel folks on
> this;  after the tests I did I don't have a lot of good things to say
> about nvidia's drivers.

I agree with you compleately. I think that using closed source drivers
or merging propritary code into some opensource project are the
absolute worst thing that the linux community can do. I am simply in a
tough spot. I would like to be able to do audio AND video stuff using
this machine and this driver seems like the only way to take some of
the graphics load off of the main processor and put it on the graphics
card. I mean, I have this sweet card and a sweet machine and an awesome
sound card and I hate winblows - now my sound card works well but I
have this graphics card that is basicaly not getting used and it is a
waste.

(speaking of wastes, I bought this AMD64 laptop hoping that there was
some MMX style write combining that would allow me to run Gem and PD at
the same time on the same machine without audio dropouts, but nope. Now
I have a 64-bit machine running in 32-bit mode simply because PD arrays
don't work in 64-bit mode)

At the very least I would like to know what cards are the best linux
graphics cards so that I can build a better machine in the future.

In the best scenerio someone would suguest an opensource graphics
driver that works as well or better then this propritary ATI driver for
my ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 M10

Thanks for not flaming me.
-thewade