[PlanetCCRMA] Re: FC3 ccrma runs very very slow.

Sun Feb 19 15:01:02 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 22:34 +0000, Bal Dobe wrote:
> I have just installed the audio apps on my non ccrma FC3 install and I
> can get rosegarden to work, I get no problems with system crawl.
>
> Ok I can not get any sound out because the sound server is not running
> but things seem to be working.
>
> That leads me to the question,
>
> Can I install the ccrma audio apps on my normal FC4 install, without
> having to install the ccrma kernel?

Yes, that should be possible. I have not tried it but it should work.
Just don't add the "planetcore" repository to the apt configuration. One
caveat is that for realtime schedulling access as a normal non-root user
you will need to either install the Planet CCRMA version of "pam" (part
of planetcore, pam-0.79-9.6.2.rhfc4.ccrma), or
edit /etc/security/limits.conf to give everyone (or a group) access to
realtime priority. The relevant part of Planet CCRMA's configuration is:

*               -       rtprio          99
*               -       nice            -10
*               -       memlock         4000000

What hardware do you have? It may be too new for proper support by the
linux kernel and that's why you are getting so much grief from it.

-- Fernando