[PlanetCCRMA] Re: From zero to DAW in 2 hours !

greg mccourt greg.mccourt@EF.com
Sat Feb 18 12:33:00 2006

------_=_NextPart_001_01C63401.3B4D252D

I recommend that the CCRMA instillation doesn't mess with the desktop =
(gnome/kde/etc). If a user wants to add an application to their desktop =
---in whatever desktop they use---they should be able to do this =
themselves. If they can't, they haven't even managed the basic abilities =
to use their GUI of choice.

I use X, but am still a CLI user at heart. I delete almost all of the =
menus and icons etc. that FC installs right away. I create my own that =
reflect how I want to use X. This changes depending on what I'm working =
on. I used to think this was the linux spirit (still do, really). In =
your favorite WM and desktop, one of the first things you need to learn =
to do is customize it---it's not difficult and can be a lot of fun =
personalizing. You don't need every program installed on your machine on =
your desktop (damn, what would that look like?). If you want real power =
and freedom from clicking through menus, learn a little bit of CLI.

I don't think any of Planet should be automatically installed as part of =
your desktop. I don't think Fernando should waste his precious time =
resolving such issues. People should spend five-ten minutes learning how =
to add and remove items on their desktop---how is anyone going to deal =
with audio/video programs and applications if they can't even do this =
very basic general user task?

I must admit that I use CLI as much as I possible, but I do run X and =
use it for SND and a couple other programs that I want graphic feedback =
from. I have a very minimal desktop. I like it. I dislike busy desktops, =
but it only took me about five-ten minutes to learn what I needed to do =
to add and remove things from my desktop.