[PlanetCCRMA] Can get jackd to run

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Sat Feb 18 12:40:07 2006

On Saturday 18 February 2006 20:35, rick parker wrote:
> --- Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 February 2006 06:38, rick parker
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I'm using an M-Audio 1010, which I do get output
> >
> > from
> >
> > > and in the envy24control I can see input levels
> >
> > on, so
> >
> > > that seems to be working.  With Frame/Period 1024
> >
> > it
> >
> > > still just dies about 5 seconds after starting.
> > > I don't see any messages that say "xrun" when I do
> > > this (I'm just looking in the jack mesaage window,
> > > don't know where else to look).
> > > When I uncheck Realtime, it seems to stay running
> > > though, I don't really know what it's for but I'm
> > > thinking it's probably important. Truthfully, I
> >
> > don't
> >
> > > even know what I'm supposed to do it jack to use
> >
> > it
> >
> > > once it's running...
> > > I did read the FAQ you listed, and I'll take a
> >
> > look at
> >
> > > the sourceforge list as well in the meantime..
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Hi Nick. The first thing I notice from your first
> > post was that the Midi
> > patchbay was not available. The Midi patchbay has
> > nothing to do with Jack,
> > but is a facility to enable Midi connections in
> > Qjackctl. Run /sbin/lsmod on
> > the command line as user. The module you're looking
> > for is snd-seq-midi,
> > which you will no doubt see is missing. To force
> > the command line, this time as root, type the
> > following.
> > /sbin/chkconfig alsasound on .  The snd-seq-midi
> > module should now be loaded
> > each time you boot up.
>
> The sound card I'm using, the M-Audio Delta 1010,
> doesn't have midi, should I still follow these
> instructions?

Hi Rick. Sorry about messing with your name. I think my mind was on Dr Nick
Riviera, and again my eyes arn't so good. I would do the snd-seq-midi stuff,
as, for instance. If you have a midi keyboard and want to link it to
ZynAddSubFx synth

> > For realtime to work you need the packages "rtirq"
> > and "rtload" and the kernel
> > thats designed to use them. To check if you have
> > those 2 packages.
> > rpm -q rtirq
> > rpm -q rtload
>
> Both seem to be there, and I'm using the low-latency
> kernel:
> # rpm -q rtirq
> rtirq-20050415-1.rhfc3.ccrma
>
> # rpm -q rtload
> rtload-0.0.2-1.rhfc3.ccrma
>
> # uname -r
> 2.6.11-0.3.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma

I'm using the same kernel, and there are no problems with realtime. On FC3,
and Qjackctl, I have the following.
Realtime checked
Priority 60
Frames/Period 1024
Sample Rate 48000
Periods/Buffer 2
Port Maximum 128
Latency is showing as 42.7 msec. Really bad but no noticeable delay from
keyboard to synth.  Nigel.