[PlanetCCRMA] Re: From zero to DAW in 2 hours !

Thu Feb 16 14:55:02 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 13:10 -0600, David Slimp wrote:
> Hmmm.. that looks like the system is trying to do something
> with both your ice and intel8x0 card.  From what I've read
> there could easily be problems trying to get two cards to
> work together.  So, I'd recommend disabling the intel8x0
> card (at least for now).  Probably something you can do from
> the BIOS.  If not, then someone else on the list would have
> to help you with that.
>
> ... let's see if the fresh install wipes clean any bad/old settings.
>
> On 2/16/06, Balbinder Dobe <baldobe2000@yahoo.de> wrote:
> > David, this is the error that I get when booting up in
> > to the ccrma kernel.
> >
> > [root@localhost ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
> > Shutting down sound driver
> >     [  OK  ]
> > [root@localhost ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
> > Starting sound driver snd-ice1724 FATAL: Error
> > inserting snd_ice1724 (/lib/modul
> >
> > es/2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma/updates/pci/ice1712/snd-ice1724.ko):
> > Unknown symb
> >           ol in module, or unknown parameter (see
> > dmesg)
> >
> >     [FAILED]
> > Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0 FATAL: Error
> > inserting snd_intel8x0 (/lib/mod
> >
> > ules/2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko):
> > Unknown symbol in
> >                 module, or unknown parameter (see
> > dmesg)
> >
> >     [FAILED]

Arghh, this is something (I don't know what) that is
rewriting /etc/modprobe.conf and putting things there that confuse the
module loading process. I have had zero time to take a look at this.

Quick fix is to edit (carefully) /etc/modprobe.conf and look at the end
of the "options" lines, remove any extra spaces at the end.

Save, do a "/sbin/depmod -a" and all should be well.

-- Fernando