[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Help to Install FC 3 for Julia Sound card no sound output.

Bal Dobe baldobe2000@yahoo.de
Wed Feb 15 13:36:01 2006

Nigel, thanks for your comments.

You are right that when I installed FC3 I chose not to install the MBR
so Grub is located on myFC4 boot.

The only reason I installed FC3 is because I could nto get ccrma working
on FC4 and I was told that ccrma for FC4 was not stable.

I have not had a chance to read through all of your post but I will go
through it later.

At this very moment I am installing ccrma on fc4.

Cheers

Bal

-----Original Message-----
From: Nigel Henry [mailto:cave.dnb@tiscali.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:21 PM
To: planetccrma@ccrma.stanford.edu
Cc: Bal Dobe; 'David Slimp'
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Re: Help to Install FC 3 for Julia Sound card
no sound output.

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 17:31, Bal Dobe wrote:
> David thanks for your help.
>
> HOwever, before I uninstall and reinstall stuff I want make sure that
we
> are clear about something.
>
> My FC3 install which is on sda6, does not have grub.conf in /etc/
>
> The only grub.conf I have is in /boot/grub/ on my FC4 partition which
is
> on sda5.
Hi Bal. That sounds ok, because I presume that when you installed FC3
you
elected not to use a bootloader, and were going to write entries to
FC4's
GRUB bootloader to boot the FC3 kernels. I have found this not the best
way
to go, because when you add kernels to FC3, for instance, you have to
manually add them to FC4's bootloader. I run many multiple installs in
different harddrive caddies, and this is the way I do it. The current
harddrive running in the machine has 4 distro's on it, and each one has
bootloader. This is the way it is set up for FC2, FC3, Debian Sarge, and

Debian Sarge/Etch.

FC2 was the first install on this drive, so I installed GRUB in the MBR,
and
root is shown as (hd0,0). The other disros are installed, and the
bootloader
(LILO) in the case of the Debian installs are installed in the /
partition.
In the case of Debian Sarge, it is in (hd0,4), and in the case of Debian

Sarge/Etch (hd0,6). FC3 has it's bootloader, GRUB, installed in (hd0,8).
Now
you have 4 bootloaders installed, and the only OS you can boot up is
FC2. I
usually use Webmin to mess with bootloader entries, but that aside I
boot up
FC2. Open the CLI, then gedit or some other text editor, then go
to /boot/grub/grub.conf. Then I add the following lines.

title Debiansarge
root (hd0,4)
chainloader +1

title Debiantesting
root (hd0,6)
chainloader +1

title FC3
root (hd0,8)
chainloader +1

Now when I boot up the machine, I am presented with FC2's GRUB
bootloader
that's in the MBR. This has 4 kernels for FC2, plus entries for Debian
Sarge,
Debian Testing, and FC3. Click on FC3, and that takes me to the GRUB
bootloader for FC3, again with a choice of kernels to boot. You will
have the
original kernel from the FC3 install, plus any from Planetccrma that you
have
also installed. This method is preferable, as if you add another kernel
FC3 for instance, it is automatically added to the GRUB bootloader which
is
on (hd0,8)

Right. To save having to reinstall FC3, and after having saved any
valuable
data thats on FC3. The following is a part from the Gentoo manual for
installing GRUB. I had a problem with FC1 using an IDE PCI adaptor card
for 3
distros on different harddrives where I had to resort to booting from a
floppy for FC1. I stress that I havn't tried what is below, apart from
my
Gentoo install. FC1 showed GRUB on the system, but nothing, no grub.conf

in /boot.grub/grub.conf. This is worth a try, as the only other option
is
reinstalling FC3, and putting the GRUB bootloader in the / partition for
the
newly installed FC3, so that all newly installed planetccrma kernels
will
show up on the GRUB bootloader for FC3.

Part of Gentoo Handbook below:

Now we can install GRUB using grub-install:

Code Listing 6: Running grub-install

# grub-install /dev/hda   (change hda for your / partition) IMPORTANT

If you have more questions regarding GRUB, please consult the GRUB FAQ
or the
GRUB Manual.

Continue with Rebooting the System.

Alternative: Setting up GRUB using manual instructions

 To start configuring GRUB, you type in grub. You'll be presented with
the
grub> grub command-line prompt. Now, you need to type in the right
commands
to install the GRUB boot record onto your hard drive.

Code Listing 7: Starting the GRUB shell

# grub

Note: If your system does not have any floppy drives, add the
--no-floppy
option to the above command to prevent grub from probing the
(non-existing)
floppy drives.

In the example configuration we want to install GRUB so that it reads
its
information from the boot-partition /dev/hda1, and installs the GRUB
boot
record on the hard drive's MBR (master boot record) so that the first
thing
we see when we turn on the computer is the GRUB prompt. Of course, if
you
haven't followed the example configuration during the installation,
change
the commands accordingly.

The tab completion mechanism of GRUB can be used from within GRUB. For
instance, if you type in "root (" followed by a TAB, you will be
presented
with a list of devices (such as hd0). If you type in "root (hd0,"
followed by
a TAB, you will receive a list of available partitions to choose from
(such
as hd0,0).

By using the tab completion, setting up GRUB should be not that hard.
Now go
on, configure GRUB, shall we? :-)

Code Listing 8: Installing GRUB in the MBR

grub> root (hd0,0)          (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
grub> setup (hd0)           (Install GRUB in the MBR)
grub> quit                  (Exit the GRUB shell)

Note: If you want to install GRUB in a certain partition instead of the
MBR,
you have to alter the setup command so it points to the right partition.
For
instance, if you want GRUB installed in /dev/hda3, then the command
becomes
setup (hd0,2). Few users however want to do this.

End of Gentoo Handbook excerpt.

Please. Please be aware of the fact that GRUB uses different identifiers
for
harddrive partitions. hda is identified with GRUB as hd0. The first
partition
on your first harddrive is identified as hd0,0, rather than hda1.

Come back if you have more questions. Nigel.

BTW: David . I liked your install. It seemed to go ok, and most
importantly
the sound works.

> I am reluctant to wipe everything and start again for obvious reasons
> but if that is what I have to do so be it.
>
> Do I need to copy grub.conf from FC4 and put it into /etc/ in FC3?
No

> When I installed FC3 I did not install the boot loader in the MBR,  I
> kept my previous one and modified it so that it could boot into FC3.
>
> Once again thanks for your help.
>
> Bal dobe.

Slimp