[PlanetCCRMA] Re: kernel questions

Mon Feb 13 22:35:01 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 20:28 -0600, Tom Poe wrote:
> Hello:  I used apt-get for the core-edge on my new FC4 install.  When I
> rebooted, I did not see two kernels listed.

Weird... the install did not complain of anything?
(apt-get install planetccrma-core-edge)
What kernels do you have? Do this:
  rpm -q kernel

> I checked:
> $ uname -a
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 #1 Thu Jun 2 22:55:56 EDT
> 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> [tom@localhost ~]$
>
> The CCRMA site shows 2.6.10-2.1.ll as the low-latency kernel that's most
> stable, and 2.6.10-0.1.rdt bleeding edge?  I'm guessing both of those
> are older than what I'm running, and that is why neither one of them
> shows when I start up the computer?  Is the kernel I have loaded,
> considered the low-latency kernel I want to use for recording?

The docs are a bit out of date. To see what kernels are available from
the repository you have configured:
  apt-get install kernel
check the ones that have rhfc4.ccrma in the release field.

For fc4 there are some newer kernels available but are in a different
repository (they are more experimental).

-- Fernando