[PlanetCCRMA] (RESOLVED) frustrated with midi - finding no help

David Slimp rock808@gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 00:57:01 2006

Thanks to everyone who offered some help with this!

I finally got it figured out! :)

Fernando (at Planet CCRMA) went above and beyond what I would
have expected - special thanks to you.

... anyway, he ultimately suggested it was some kind of alsa install/config
problem and asked me for alsa RPM package names on my system.
Everything looked good, but I decided to pursue this further.
Ultimately, I think there was some kind of package conflict that wasn't
showing up as an error anywhere!

When I originally set up this FC3 system, I was using some various
apt/yum repositories... one being ATRPMS.  I noticed that a Flac package
came from there. I knew CCRMA would have it's own flac package, and
so tried to remove it, but libOggFLAC1 had dependancies... knowing I'd install
the CCRMA version right away I ignored deps...

For anyone in the future who has this problem.. here is my history
of commands (as root):

# looking for any/all packaged files that might have changed
 rpm -Va
# I noticed a couple alsa/sound related file saying "prelink has changed"
# I got suspicious, and checked one
rpm -qif /usr/lib/libOggFLAC.so.1.0.2
# turned out the libOggFLAC package came from ATRPMS, so I decided
# to remove these, and grab the CCRMA versions to be safe.
rpm -e flac SDL_sound dosbox --nodeps
apt-get install flac
rpm -qif /usr/lib/libOggFLAC.so.1
rpm -e libOggFLAC1    # failed - lots of dependancies
rpm -e libOggFLAC1 vorbis-tools  alsaplayer flac-devel libOggFLAC1
libFLAC++4 libFLAC6 libOggFLAC++0 grip --nodeps
# make sure we fix anything - get up to date stuff
apt-get install -f
# go ahead and find ALL packages from ATRPMS, to be safe
rpm -qa | grep "\.at"
# there were MANY, but let's just remove a few alsa/sound ones to start
rpm -e libsndfile1 mjpegtools libsndfile lame libasound2
libsndfile-devel --nodeps
# try to get needed/required packages again
apt-get install -f    # this failed for some reason (i forget)
rpm -e mplayer kino dvtitler ffmpeg transcode planetccrma-audiovideoapps
apt-get install  libsndfile
apt-get install planetccrma-audiovideoapps

NOW... after that little bit, I can run kmidimon, muse, qsynth and
everything seems to be working perfectly!

I'm sure more packages need to be cleaned up, and maybe some
of those didn't NEED to be touched, but hopefully this will be helpful
to others who run in to this.... or people trying to help others who have
a similar problem.  --- CHECK FOR PACKAGE CONFLICTS !!!

thanks again,