[PlanetCCRMA] hardware question - USB and Firewire

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Mon Feb 13 20:39:01 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 23:08 -0500, Roy Vestal wrote:
> Hi folks. I'm building a small home studio and I want to use CCRMA. My
> question is hardware related:
>
> I, like most, have a limited budget. Although I'd like to go with a 16
> channnel AD/DA and an RME Hammerfall, I don't have the money for it
> right now. I'm also just starting so I don't need that kind of
> horsepower at the start.
>
> I've been looking at E-MU's 1820, which will have the functions I'm
> looking with 8 channels in, 8 out, but I didn't see it on the ALSA list.
> Has anyone used or know if it's suppported using CCRMA?

    I don't know about the 1820 but the M-Audio 1010 works great.

> What about the Firewire products out there? Like the Alesis MultiMix
> Firewire Mixers, or the Taskam Firewire Mixers?  These "all in one"
> units give me what I need in functionality, but I haven't set up a DAW
> before so I don't want to buy something that doesn't work. If I have to
> I'll run Windows, but I really don't want to.

    Firewire is iffy at best right now.  No one really wants to release
specs.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744