[PlanetCCRMA] advice on upgrade from fc1 to fc4 request

Sun Feb 12 16:57:02 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 03:00 -0600, Tom Poe wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano offered the following on 02/12/2006 01:33 AM:
> > On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 00:17 -0600, Tom Poe wrote:
> >
> >>Fernando:  Little delay at this end.  Managed to get some time, and ran
> >>rpm -e apt-devel synaptic planetccrma-audioapps
> >>planetccrma-audiovideoapps
> >>
> >>Then installed apt successfully, updated the sources.list and ran
> >>apt-get update
> >>
> >>I have three packages that are duplicated:
> >>librsvg2
> >>glibc
> >>gstreamer-plugins
> >>
> >>Personally, I'd like to run a command to see a list of all duplicated
> >>packages.
> >

> > Hmmm, I don't know how exactly to do this. Most probable the output of
> > "apt-get check" should be enough.
> >
> > You could:
> >   rpm -q -a --qf "%{NAME}\n" | sort | uniq -d
> > that _should_ print the duplicated packages only, I think.
> > Then for each package do:
> >   rpm -q package_name
> > and you should see the duplicates...
> >
> >> I'm thinking that would then let me run an rpm command that
> >>would remove the old package, leaving the newer package.  But, before I
> >>ask your help to figure out what the commands are, can I ask what you
> >>recommend?  There's some question in my mind, that if I remove them, I
> >>might cripple the system altogether, and not be able to fix it so
> >>easily.
> >
> > You should be able to remove the old version only and leave the new one
> > alone. I think you just need to do "rpm -e package-version-release"
> > using the version-release of the old package.
> >
> Fernando:  Thank you.  I stumbled across the command to identify duplicates:
> doublepackages=`rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' | sort | uniq -d | grep -v ^kernel`
> [root@localhost apt]# echo $doublepackages
> glibc gpg-pubkey gstreamer-plugins librsvg2
> Then I ran:
> [root@localhost apt]# rpm -q -a glibc
> glibc-2.3.5-10
> glibc-2.3.2-101.4
> [root@localhost apt]#
> and added them to the apt.conf file as duplicates allowed for now.
>
> I'm not sure how to get the apt-check list of applications cleaned up,
> but shortened the list to what you see below.
>
> [root@localhost apt]# apt-get install planetccrma-core
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> planetccrma-core is already the newest version.
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>    alsa-kernel-2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma: Depends: kernel (=
> 2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma)
>                                         Depends: kernel-version-i686 (=
> 2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma) but it is not installable

You should "rpm -e alsa-kernel-2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma"

Maybe you should do a blanket:
  rpm -q -a | grep rhfc1
to get all packages that were part of Planet CCRMA on fc1, erase them
("rpm -e") and the reinstall from the Planet CCRMA fc4 repository.

Or, as you say below, reinstall from scratch fc4.
I'd probably try to erase all rhfc1 packages before trying a reinstall.

-- Fernando