[PlanetCCRMA] On the Necessity of Being Root

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Sat Feb 4 06:42:03 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 23:32 -0800, bernie arai wrote:
> On 2/3/06, Jan Depner <eviltwin69@cableone.net> wrote:
>
> >     You don't have to run as root anymore but don't ask me how to set it
> > up ;-)  I run my window manager as a normal user but I run
> > JACK/qjackctl, Ardour, and JAMin as root.  I just have icons on my KDE
> > desktop that run as root (it's easy to set up).  When I click one it
> > asks me for the root password.  I trust the people who are maintaining
> > JACK/qjackctl, Ardour, and JAMin (I would certainly hope so ;-) so I
> > don't worry about those applications causing problems on my system.
> > When I'm doing serious recording (8 channels for me) I'll log in using
> > fluxbox as root - my startup script for qjackctl shuts down ALL
> > extraneous processes, including the network so that my system is
> > isolated.
> >

> could you list some (if not all) the processes which are extraneous
> for audio work?  i'd like to write a similar starup script for myself,
> but i don't yet undertand what processes are important for what.  i
> think i remember trying to google for advice on streamlining a linux
> setup for audio, but either i couldn't find definite instructions or i
> was just too ignorant to understand them...

    I usually shut down crond, syslogd, auditd, and the network.

service crond stop
service auditd stop
service syslog stop
service network stop

There are also a couple of other processes that I like to get rid of -
specifically autorun and artsd (on the off chance that they are up).

killall --quiet --wait --signal KILL autorun
killall --quiet --wait --signal KILL artsd

If you run a startup like this (I run mine from qjackctl -
Options->Execute script on Startup) you'll need to restart the services
when you are finished with JACK.

service network start
service syslog start
service auditd start
service crond start

    I'm sure there are some I've missed but removing these seems to help
out (and it doesn't hurt anything).  Hope this helps.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744