[PlanetCCRMA] On the Necessity of Being Root

bernie arai bernie.arai@gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 23:33:01 2006

On 2/3/06, Jan Depner <eviltwin69@cableone.net> wrote:

>     You don't have to run as root anymore but don't ask me how to set it
> up ;-)  I run my window manager as a normal user but I run
> JACK/qjackctl, Ardour, and JAMin as root.  I just have icons on my KDE
> desktop that run as root (it's easy to set up).  When I click one it
> asks me for the root password.  I trust the people who are maintaining
> JACK/qjackctl, Ardour, and JAMin (I would certainly hope so ;-) so I
> don't worry about those applications causing problems on my system.
> When I'm doing serious recording (8 channels for me) I'll log in using
> fluxbox as root - my startup script for qjackctl shuts down ALL
> extraneous processes, including the network so that my system is
> isolated.

could you list some (if not all) the processes which are extraneous
for audio work?  i'd like to write a similar starup script for myself,
but i don't yet undertand what processes are important for what.  i
think i remember trying to google for advice on streamlining a linux
setup for audio, but either i couldn't find definite instructions or i
was just too ignorant to understand them...

thanks,

bernie