[PlanetCCRMA] firewire support thru freebob?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell@gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 17:39:02 2005

On 10/31/05, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > I went through their wiki and couldn't find an explination of why they
> > are building their driver into Jack. Whats the point?
>
> I think that's the first step to get something working. If I understand
> correctly it was easier to do a backend to Jack[*] instead of writing a
> full ALSA driver. They will do a full ALSA driver eventually, or that's
> what I understood.

Makes perfect sense.. easier to work in userspace, plus there is a
nice 1394 API in userspace.
It's actually somewhat cool to have the entire driver in userspace...
Providing that the 1394 kernel API behaves right there isn't really a
problem with it, other than being locked into jack (and who would
complain about that :) )