[PlanetCCRMA] Re: firewire support thru freebob?

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Oct 31 18:42:01 2005

Gregory Maxwell:

> On 10/31/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have not tried Freebob yet. I'm still studying it and looking around
>> for a 1394 box to buy. However I think it might be a bit harder to use
>> on a Planet box than some other distros right now. Freebob is
>> currently delivering it's own customized version of Jack which you are
>> required to use. I suspect that it's no big deal, but you'd have a
>> harder time keeping an RPM distro happy when you try to remove your
>> existing version of Jack to replace it with this one.
>>
>> I believe the Jack developers are talking about getting it into the
>> main Jack distribution so that the Freebob guys don't have to do that,
>> but it's not apparently there yet.
>
> I went through their wiki and couldn't find an explination of why they
> are building their driver into Jack. Whats the point?

I think one of the freebob-guys (or perhaps _the_ freebob guy) just
wrote on linux-audio-dev that jack was just a development tool for now,
and that the later versions of freebob might just support alsa.

And that makes sense, the api for jack seems to be a lot simpler than
the api for alsa.