[PlanetCCRMA] firewire support thru freebob?

Mon Oct 31 17:18:01 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 18:34 -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 10/31/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have not tried Freebob yet. I'm still studying it and looking around
> > for a 1394 box to buy. However I think it might be a bit harder to use
> > on a Planet box than some other distros right now. Freebob is
> > currently delivering it's own customized version of Jack which you are
> > required to use. I suspect that it's no big deal, but you'd have a
> > harder time keeping an RPM distro happy when you try to remove your
> > existing version of Jack to replace it with this one.
> >
> > I believe the Jack developers are talking about getting it into the
> > main Jack distribution so that the Freebob guys don't have to do that,
> > but it's not apparently there yet.
>
> I went through their wiki and couldn't find an explination of why they
> are building their driver into Jack. Whats the point?

I think that's the first step to get something working. If I understand
correctly it was easier to do a backend to Jack[*] instead of writing a
full ALSA driver. They will do a full ALSA driver eventually, or that's
what I understood.

-- Fernando

[*] Jack already has backends for ALSA and OSS device drivers, for
example.