[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA vs the mainstream

Tom Poe tompoe@studioforrecording.org
Tue Oct 18 13:58:01 2005

--------------060305020702070603070600

Mark Knecht offered the following on 10/18/2005 01:30 PM:
- - - snip - - -
> Bummer. I would have enjoyed reading it.
>
> I think from a pure marketing POV he's probably right. There isn't a
> lot new in terms of app names in the last year. There are now much
> more stable apps, but that probably doesn't sell magazines.
>
> Linux Audio is so fragmented it's hard for new people to get their
> hands around it, and so many of the apps are so obscure that they are
> likely not well understood in a few paragraphs. And still we do not
> have a single 'go to' app to replace Pro Tools/Cubase/etc. so many
> people wouldn't even attempt to use this as a platform. It's FAR too
> hard from a new user perspective.
>
> That said, we need more articles out there to attract more people. I
> hope you don't give up.
>
> - Mark

This from someone who just barely gets CCRMA loaded.  I mean, it pretty
much needs to work with just a couple clicks of the mouse, or I get into
trouble, immediately.  :)

I bring up Audacity, click on the mic icon at the top, and the green
bars activate.  Adjust the mic, click on record, then stop, then play,
then save to file.  Being able to import .ogg song files is a plus.
That pretty much puts me in the podcasting business.  My needs are
minimal.  The audience for Audacity is instantly broadened to include
nonmusicians, is it not?

CCRMA serves the widest possible market, from nonmusician to the most
sophisticated audio and video production.  Cutting edge stuff, and stuff
that serves a child learning to read/write with Rosegarden4.  Load
CCRMA, click the mouse every so often to update it, and that computer
serves whatever level of expertise sits in front of it.

I read this morning, on freepress.net, that Eban Moglen is preparing to
go before the Supreme Court in 2025 and declare that broadcasting is
unconstitutional.  By that, I think he means, that by then, everyone
will have the equivalent of CCRMA on their computers, and that wireless
mesh networks will be the name of the game.  Our airwaves belong to us,
CCRMA is the tool.  Why need broadcasters, when everyone is their own
broadcaster?

The work that is done by Mark, Fernando, Jonathan, and everyone on the
list, is important work.  My spine just tingles when I use this stuff,
and see the potential that it offers young and old, professional
musicians and hobbyists, but mostly for the educational experience of
children that will cut through the learning curve, regardless of
application.  Keep up the good work.
[END OF PEP CHEER]
Tom

--
Open Studios, Charles City, Iowa, USA
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/

--------------060305020702070603070600

begin:vcard
fn:Tom Poe
n:Poe;Tom
org:Open Studios
adr:;;510 15th Avenue;Charles City;IA;50616;USA
email;internet:tompoe@studioforrecording.org
title:Director
tel;work:641-228-3271
tel;home:641-228-3271