[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA vs the mainstream

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 12:58:01 2005

On 10/18/05, Mario Torre <mppr_kris@tiscali.it> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Bummer. I would have enjoyed reading it.
> >
> > I think from a pure marketing POV he's probably right. There isn't a
> > lot new in terms of app names in the last year. There are now much
> > more stable apps, but that probably doesn't sell magazines.
> >
> > Linux Audio is so fragmented it's hard for new people to get their
> > hands around it, and so many of the apps are so obscure that they are
> > likely not well understood in a few paragraphs. And still we do not
> > have a single 'go to' app to replace Pro Tools/Cubase/etc. so many
> > people wouldn't even attempt to use this as a platform. It's FAR too
> > hard from a new user perspective.
> >
> > That said, we need more articles out there to attract more people. I
> > hope you don't give up.
> >
> > - Mark
> >

> Hi!
>
> I have read only the last two post on this topic (I have lost some mails
>   in the last days...), so this mail probaily is offtopic, but this
> discussione makes me think that what is needed in the linux audio
> community is a news site that every weeks shows how to do things you do
> in other platform in linux.

A couple of the Rosegarden guys have this one going. At least the
title is easy to remember!

http://www.linuxmusician.com/

> There are lots of resources, blogs, and documentation, but all that is
> so fragmented (as stated above).
>
> I think we need something like linux journal but focused only on linux
> audio.

The problem is that we cannot publish a magazine saying that a new
feature was added to some program. The magazine buying world is
looking for far more new toys than the Linux Audio Developers are able
to create every month.

> It could describe, for example, how to make samples and with which
> programs and how to record them in ardour. The problem is to have a site
> that is updated, with periodics and scheduled releases (like a paper),
> for example two times a month, so users could expect it and read it, and
> contribute to it if they wish.

I agree that it would be absolutely great to have a real HOWTO site
where people write articles and give real examples of how to do things
that need to be done. I'm struggling with pitch and time conversion
right now. I'm sure there's a solution out there but I cannot yet find
one that works on my platform.

> It should not be just linux (for example, it may shows how to use an
> external compressor or how to connect a completely analogical mixer),
> just replacing the daw part of the article (that is a windows pc or mac)
> with a linux box.
>
> Here in Italy (I know in many countries is the same) we have at least
> two magazines about digital music recording and production, and they
> rarely talk about linux, even though many articles can be applied to all
> platform (just replacing the tool or the set of tools used).
>
> Ciao!
> Mario

Thanks for chiming in!

Cheers,