[PlanetCCRMA] Whysynth and Smack compile problems

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Mon Oct 17 15:08:00 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 07:41, Tracey Hytry wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> I'm assuming that you're using the planet's apt-get system?
>
> Could you take a look at your system with "synaptic" and see if there's any
> parts of the planet that are not installed?
>
> Synaptic will list just about everything that's not installed from the
> repository or repositories you have the apt-get system pointing at.  A lot
> of those files shouldn't be installed though(like the smp stuff on a single
> processor machine, etc);  but it will give you an idea of what may be
> missing?
>
> I have a FC3/planet-ccrma system that I was able to build and run whysynth
> on out of the box(as they say)(or at least it was the normal
> configure/make/make-install in my little build sandbox).  I am very
> impressed with whysynth so far(it will be even better if the author adds
> the midi control bindings:).  I was going to ask Fernando if he could try
> adding whysynth to the planet sometime when he's only working at normal
> speed, but I was thinking that may be a bit into the future.
>
> Tracey.

Hi Tracey. I think this thread is wandering off what the planetccrma list is
here for, but nevertheless, one last go at sorting this. Mathew Radey
suggested gtk+-devel, which also wanted glib-devel, so I went with this. No
change when running ./configure for Whysynth. Looked around in synaptic as
make was complaining about missing gnum4. Couldn't find that, but
gnutls-devel wasn;t installed. gnutls was. Went for that, but now configure
won't even run to completion. Added gtkmm-devel, which also wanted gtkmm,
libsigc++10, and libsigc++10-devel. No change. Then added gtklext, and
gtklext-devel. Still no change. Removed gnutls-devel, but still ./configure
wont run to completion. Looking at the libs files I see that m4 is
installed , so probably installing gnutls-devel wasn't necessary. This is the
last output from ./configure for Whysynth

checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
./configure: line 4275: syntax error near unexpected token `no'
./configure: line 4275: `AC_ENABLE_STATIC(no)'

Giving up on Whysynth for FC3, I thought I'd try Smack, and it's 2 deps "om"
and "omins". Omins surprisingly installed ok, and then tried Smack, which had
previously refused to. This installed ok also, but i cant find any binary
file on the machine for it, just some stuff in /usr/share. Then I had a go at
installing liblo-0.22. Om had been complaining that liblo-0.18 wasn't good
enough. Running ./configure for liblo-0.22 is ok and it runs to completion,
but running make stops at the errors below.

config.status: config.h is unchanged
[djmons@localhost liblo-0.22]$ make
 cd . && /bin/sh /home/djmons/Smack-and-deps/liblo-0.22/missing --run
automake-1.9 --gnu  Makefile
configure.in:23: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.9.2,
configure.in:23: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:23: comes from Automake 1.9.5.  You should recreate
configure.in:23: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

I have several versions of automake installed.
automake 1.9.2-3
automake14 1;4p6-12
automake15 1.5-13
automake16 1.6.3-5
automake17 1.7.9-5
But no automake 1.9.5

The error says I should recreate aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake
again. Apologies, but I don't know how to do this. I fully appreciate it, if
you havn't time to help with this problem, but would be nice to fix it all
the same. Nigel.

ps: working on the CLI is a real bundle of fun.