[PlanetCCRMA] Lost in the backroads..

Jeff Farr Jeff Farr <moogah@gmail.com>
Mon Oct 10 10:58:03 2005

------=_Part_2378_14434807.1128967046951

Ok, things are looking much better this morning. JackRack starts and things
like the amSynth work now. Muse and Ardour startup as proper and appear to
work as proper so I've got a good selection of programs at my disposal now.
Again, thanks for all the help.
Now, However, my performance is still sub-par. For instance, using a delay
plugin in jack rack with an external synth routed through is very glitchy
and at one point even crashed. asound/cards lists that the delta is on irq1=
6
and /devices shows 16: playback 24: capture. Are these irqs?

On 10/10/05, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 01:36 -0400, Jeff Farr wrote:
> > Allright, I think I've narrowed it down a bit. Some of the trouble
> > was that I hadn't "alsasound on" -ed again since the last reboot. Now
> > ardour, snd, freqTweek and hydrogen are 'working'. However, if I try
> > to start JackRack it still says it can't find the alsa sequencer and
> > "no such file or directory". Likewise if I try to alsasound start or
> > stop in /etc/rc.d/init.d bash says it doesn't recognize the command.
> > Perhaps I've missed something?
>
> What do you see when you do a:
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> cat /proc/asound/devices
> Are you sure you have the alsasound script set up to run at boot?
> Do the following:
> /sbin/chkconfig --list alsasound
> It should print something like:
> alsasound 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
> (note the "5:on" part, that means the service will be started when you
> go to level 5, multiuser with the X server running).
>
> If it does try starting it manually, do (as root):
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
> That should load the sequencer module automatically (and subsequently on
> every reboot).
>
> Regretfully all apps are different and some may require command line
> arguments to use Jack, otherwise they will not try to use it and may
> fail silently when, for example, they try to use alsa and find the
> devices in use because Jack is already running.
>
> -- Fernando

------=_Part_2378_14434807.1128967046951

Ok, things are looking much better this morning.&nbsp; JackRack starts
and things like the amSynth work now.&nbsp; Muse and Ardour startup as
proper and appear to work as proper so I've got a good selection of
programs at my disposal now.&nbsp; Again, thanks for all the help.<br>
Now, However, my performance is still sub-par.&nbsp; For instance,
using a delay plugin in jack rack with an external synth routed through
is very glitchy and at one point even crashed.&nbsp; asound/cards lists
that the delta is on irq16 and /devices shows 16: playback 24:
e">On 10/10/05, <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">Fernando Lopez-Lezcano</b> &l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:nando@ccrma.stanford.edu">nando@ccrma.stanford.edu</a>&=
gt; wrote:</span>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">On Mon, 2005-10-1=
0 at 01:36 -0400, Jeff Farr wrote:<br>&gt; Allright, I think I've narrowed =
it down a bit.&nbsp;&nbsp;Some of the trouble
t reboot.&nbsp;&nbsp;Now<br>&gt; ardour, snd, freqTweek and hydrogen are 'w=
orking'.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, if I try<br>&gt; to start JackRack it still sa=
ys it can't find the alsa sequencer and
y to alsasound start or<br>&gt; stop in /etc/rc.d/init.d bash says it doesn=
t do you see when you do a:
ces<br>Are you sure you have the alsasound script set up to run at boot?<br=
>Do the following:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;/sbin/chkconfig --list alsasound<br>It sh=
ould print something like:
0:off&nbsp;&nbsp; 1:off&nbsp;&nbsp;
2:on&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3:on&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4:on&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;5:on&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6:off<br>(note the &quot;5:on&quot; pa=
rt, that means the service will be started when you<br>go to level 5, multi=
user with the X server running).<br><br>If it does try starting it manually=
, do (as root):
Regretfully all apps are different and some may require command line<br>arg=