[PlanetCCRMA] snd-intel8x0.ko : Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter?

Mon Oct 10 10:35:02 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 12:17 +0000, Billy Lange wrote:
> Dear Linux friends,
>
> I have installed FC4 on my system from CD and all worked fine.
> (Including my snd-intel8x0 module for my onboard AC97 sound card.)
>
> I then followed the instructions as outlined in the CCRMA site
> and after installing the low latency kernel my sound have the following
> problem.
>
> [root@komati init.d]# service alsasound start
> ALSA driver already running
> Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0 FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0
> (/lib/modules/2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrmasmp/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>                                                            [FAILED]
>
> I have tried looking for a new module but was unable to locate one.
> I tried to see if I could find the possible parameter by looking
> at modinfo but had no luck...
> Googled for hours with no luck
> Check my modprobe.conf file.... seems ok.

Looks more closely, check that there are no extra characters at the end
of the "options" lines. I've seen this happen recently on a laptop of a
student here at CCRMA, the load fails because it tries to load the
module with extra "unrecognized" parameters (check the contents
of /var/log/messages for the exact error message).

-- Fernando