[PlanetCCRMA] Lost in the backroads..

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Mon Oct 10 03:52:00 2005

On Monday 10 October 2005 00:45, Jeff Farr wrote:
> Ok, thanks for the help. I had a feeling alot of this is total newbie
> stuff, I'm searching the archives, but there is so much to learn (I'm new
> to linux in general) that I'm moving in circles alot. So, I start jack
> using jackd, but now when I open jackRack I get the message "Cannot open
> ALSA sequencer, No such file or directory". Should the terminal that I
> start jack in not go back to a prompt (ie: right now it is stopped on
> "nperiods = 2 for playback")? things like alsaplayer won't run untill I
> close the terminal with jack running. apt-get install planetccrma-core and
> planetccrma-audioapps is what I used, and it shows that I have the latest
> version. However, I haven't been able to find some programs like KConnect
> and QJackConnect. I should mention that there is an on board sound card,
> but I have it disabled in the bios. Is this possibly getting booted as the
> main device (I would doubt this as envy24control and the other mixers bring
> up the interface for the Delta). I'm also doing a parallel install on a
> Dell Latitude C600, and that is working a bit better, however, there are
> alot of pops and clicks, I assume ALSA configs are the place to look to fix
> this, but again I am a bit lost on how to do it.
>
> How do I go about checking that alsa is properly installed? Also, snd cased
> my computer to lock up earlier today when I attempted to record, I could
> open a file but clicking on the play button in the lower right had no
> effect. Trying to play a file in Helix brings message "unable to open the
> audio device, another app may be using it" when I open a file.

Hi Jeff. Sorry for not coming back yesterday. It was getting a bit late here
in France.  There is a log kept of stuff thats been installed by rpm. Its at,
as user.  rpm -q -a --last . The last entries are at the top of the list. To
see if rtirq and rtload are installed , use. rpm -q rtirq   and
rpm -q rtload .  To see what sound cards have been detected use.
cat /proc/asound/cards.  The version of Alsa is at. cat /proc/asound/version.
I havn't got MDK 10.0 on the machine anymore, but think I had problems with
the sequencer module as well. Its called  snd-seq-midi . To see a list of
installed modules use, as user.  /sbin/lsmod  .  To load it manually if it
isn't there, use the command, while su'ed to root in a console.
modprobe snd-seq-midi .  To force loading of this at bootup, again while su'ed
to root.  /sbin/chkconfig alsa on .  I use "alsasound" in Fedora, but IIRC
the command in Mandrake uses just "alsa" , which would also explain why
you're getting a "command not found" when trying to stop and start Alsa using
"alsasound" . You need to start and stop Alsa as root as well, not user. I
disabled my onboard soundcard so as to be able to use my Audigy2
soundblaster, and had no problem. It was no longer seen. Right.
as root. modprobe snd-seq-midi . Then open qjackctl, jacks GUI and midi
patchbay. Hopefully it won't complain now about the missing sequencer module.
All the best. Nigel.