[PlanetCCRMA] rosegarden -- synth only plays one instrument

csynan csynan@dataworlds.com
Mon Oct 10 10:26:01 2005

------_SmarterMail_NextPart_4552673743152617

Thanks for your feedback, the problem is solved!  =0D=0A=0D=0A I am writing=
 the solution here so it can be indexed in case someone else has the same p=
roblem.=0D=0A=0D=0A The first part of the problem was getting the synth to =
listen to more than one MIDI channel.  The manual described this and so it =
was not difficult.  =0D=0A=0D=0A What I did not know is that I also had to =
tell the synthesizer to assign its "tracks" to the midi channels.  I assume=
d that it automatically did so, but it did not.  Once I figured that out, i=
t was relatively easy to edit "tracks" on the synth and assign them to MIDI=
 channels, and the program change events (or instrument assignments or what=
ever) now seem to work on the respective tracks.  I am still having some ch=
allenges, because the keyboard doesn't seem to use standard MIDI channel ma=
pping, but I am confident that as I continue to learn and experiment that I=
 will be able to figure that out.  If I figure it out I will submit the .rg=
d file to the project.=0D=0A=0D=0A The fact that I can now have different i=
nstruments (sounds) on different midi channels I consider huge progress.  N=
ow I can actually have DRUM sounds on the percussion track instead of acous=
tic grand playing the drum track!=0D=0A=0D=0A Thanks again!=0D=0A=0D=0A----=
------------------------------------=0D=0AFrom: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nan=
do@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>=0D=0ASent: Monday, October 10, 2005 1:12 PM=0D=0ATo:=
 csynan@dataworlds.com=0D=0ASubject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] rosegarden -- synth =
only plays one instrument =0D=0A=0D=0AOn Sun, 2005-10-09 at 15:24 -0400, cs=
ynan wrote:=0D=0A> In rosegarden, I create two tracks and MIDI events (note=
s) information=0D=0A> on them. Track 1 is assigned to MIDI channel 1, and i=
s assigned (in=0D=0A> RG) to Acoustic Grand. Track 2 is assigned to midi ch=
annel 2, and is=0D=0A> a different instrument, say slap bass. This all appe=
ars OK, but I am=0D=0A> having trouble getting my synth to do the right thi=
ng (so technically=0D=0A> i don't think it is a problem with rosegarden, it=
's user error)=0D=0A> =0D=0A> my synth (ensoniq e-prime) supposedly has ple=
nty of tracks, channels,=0D=0A> multi timbral etc. all things I dont fully =
understand but I assume=0D=0A> that it should be able to play the acoustic =
grand track and the slap=0D=0A> bass track simultaneously. But I cannot get=
 it to do so. =0D=0A> =0D=0A> I can get it to ignore the channel 2 (by defa=
ult it wants to recieve=0D=0A> all MIDI info over channel 1???) or I can se=
t it to read from all=0D=0A> tracks, but it plays it back using the current=
 instrument on the=0D=0A> synth, rather than taking the instruments from RG=
. So in effect it=0D=0A> ignores the instrument definitions from RG and jus=
t plays whatever=0D=0A> instrument on the synth, say alto sax, for both cha=
nnels. I have=0D=0A> tried all combinations and no success.=0D=0A=0D=0AIt l=
ooks like this is something you have to solve on the synth side.=0D=0AThere=
 must be a mode in the keyboard (look for "multitimbral" or=0D=0Asomething =
like that in the manual) so that it will listen on multiple=0D=0AMIDI chann=
els at the same time. Once you enable that you will need to=0D=0Aset up whi=
ch instrument is triggered by each channel in the synth=0D=0Aitself. The us=
ual "default" mode on most synths I've seen is to listen=0D=0Aon only one c=
hannel, which is what yours is doing. =0D=0A=0D=0A-- Fernando=0D=0A=0D=0A

------_SmarterMail_NextPart_4552673743152617

lved!&nbsp; <br /> <br /> I am writing the solution here so it can be index=
ed in case someone else has the same problem.<br /> <br /> The first part o=
f the problem was getting the synth to listen to more than one MIDI channel=
.&nbsp; The manual described this and so it was not difficult.&nbsp; <br />=
ssign its "tracks" to the midi channels.&nbsp; I assumed that it automatica=
lly did so, but it did not.&nbsp; Once I figured that out, it was relativel=
y easy to edit "tracks" on the synth and assign them to MIDI channels, and =
the program change events (or instrument assignments or whatever) now seem =
to work on the respective tracks.&nbsp; I am still having some challenges, =
because the keyboard doesn't seem to use standard MIDI channel mapping, but=
 I am confident that as I continue to learn and experiment that I will be a=
ble to figure that out.&nbsp; If I figure it out I will submit the .rgd fil=
e to the project.<br /> <br /> The fact that I can now have different instr=
uments (sounds) on different midi channels I consider huge progress.&nbsp; =
Now I can actually have DRUM sounds on the percussion track instead of acou=
</b>: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] rosegarden -- synth only plays one instrument</font=
rosegarden, I create two tracks and MIDI events (notes) information<br />&g=
t; on them. Track 1 is assigned to MIDI channel 1, and is assigned (in<br /=
>&gt; RG) to Acoustic Grand. Track 2 is assigned to midi channel 2, and is<=
br />&gt; a different instrument, say slap bass. This all appears OK, but I=
 am<br />&gt; having trouble getting my synth to do the right thing (so tec=
hnically<br />&gt; i don't think it is a problem with rosegarden, it's user=
 error)<br />&gt; <br />&gt; my synth (ensoniq e-prime) supposedly has plen=
ty of tracks, channels,<br />&gt; multi timbral etc. all things I dont full=
y understand but I assume<br />&gt; that it should be able to play the acou=
stic grand track and the slap<br />&gt; bass track simultaneously. But I ca=
nnot get it to do so. <br />&gt; <br />&gt; I can get it to ignore the chan=
nel 2 (by default it wants to recieve<br />&gt; all MIDI info over channel =
1???) or I can set it to read from all<br />&gt; tracks, but it plays it ba=
ck using the current instrument on the<br />&gt; synth, rather than taking =
the instruments from RG. So in effect it<br />&gt; ignores the instrument d=
efinitions from RG and just plays whatever<br />&gt; instrument on the synt=
h, say alto sax, for both channels. I have<br />&gt; tried all combinations=
 and no success.<br /><br />It looks like this is something you have to sol=
ve on the synth side.<br />There must be a mode in the keyboard (look for "=
multitimbral" or<br />something like that in the manual) so that it will li=
sten on multiple<br />MIDI channels at the same time. Once you enable that =
you will need to<br />set up which instrument is triggered by each channel =
in the synth<br />itself. The usual "default" mode on most synths I've seen=
 is to listen<br />on only one channel, which is what yours is doing. <br /=

------_SmarterMail_NextPart_4552673743152617--