[PlanetCCRMA] M-Audio Audiophile 2496 not working

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 11:09:02 2005

On 10/9/05, Erich Geiger <e_geiger@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 10/8/05, Erich Geiger <e_geiger@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > ====================
> > > aplay /sound-sample.wav
> > > ====================
> > > Playing WAVE '/sound-sample.wav' : Signed 16 bit
> > Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
> > > aplay: set_params:857: Sample format non available
> > > ====================
> > >

> > So are you sure the card is not working, or is it
> > just that aplay
> > cannot talk to it with this wave file?
> >
> > Please install alsaplayer and then try playing the
> > file using that.
> > Try playing a CD also.
> >
> > Goodluck,
> > Mark
> >

> Hi Mark,
> It is working with the following command, Tim Meissner
> wrote the following email directly to me thank you Tim
> for the great tip.
> ==================
> The 2496 works in 24-bit (I think), so you need rate
> conversion on-the-fly.  ALSA does this with the
> "plughw" plugin, so if you change the
> above command to
>
>         aplay -D plughw /sound-sample.wav

This means you are not playing directly to the 2496 but you are
playing to a virtual device called plughw which is then sending the
data on to the 2496.

(I am assuming here that the 2495 is the only sound device in your machine?)

> you should get sound.  Maybe someone else can explain
> further, as I have had problems changing my "default"
> plugin so that ALSA can work seemlessly with all my
> non-jack apps. I just play dumb and use jack as much
> as possible. :-)
> ==================
>
> If i am using the "aplay" command without the -D
> option the i get no sound on the CCRMA distribution,
> why do i not have to use the -D option on the
> following situation, if i am booting the PC with the
> Knoppix CDROM (Live-UNIX CD) this is also using the
> ALSA then i am able to use "aplay" command without the
> -D option.

man aplay

mark@gigastudio ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [M2496          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96
                     M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at 0xa400, irq 10
1 [R15            ]: RME9636 - RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5)
                     RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5) at 0xe2000000, irq 9
mark@gigastudio ~ $

mark@gigastudio ~ $ alsamixer

mark@gigastudio ~ $ aplay mp3/Mark\ Knecht/Red-Sun.wav
Playing WAVE 'mp3/Mark Knecht/Red-Sun.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo

I have no problem playing this file. Note that I did have to use
alsamixer and turn up both of the DAC outputs and make sure it was
sending audio. Like most Alsa devices it's muted by default.

I wondered if it was a 16-bit/24-bit issue but I can play 24-bit files also:

mark@lightning ~ $ sndfile-info Audio/audio2/DigiDesign/voideco/Self\
Esteeme/Self\ Esteeme/Audio\ Files/Lead\ -\ Mark_01.L.wav

Version : libsndfile-1.0.11

File : Audio/audio2/DigiDesign/voideco/Self Esteeme/Self Esteeme/Audio
Files/Lead - Mark_01.L.wav
Length : 6052548
RIFF : 6052540
WAVE
bext : 602
fmt  : 16
  Format        : 0x1 => WAVE_FORMAT_PCM
  Channels      : 1
  Sample Rate   : 48000
  Block Align   : 3
  Bit Width     : 24
  Bytes/sec     : 144000
*** minf : 16 (unknown marker)
*** elmo : 338 (unknown marker)
data : 6035637
  Unknown chunk marker at position 6036657. Resynching.
*** regn : 92 (unknown marker)
*** ovwf : 15746 (unknown marker)
*** umid : 24 (unknown marker)
End

Sample Rate : 48000
Frames      : 2011879
Channels    : 1
Format      : 0x00010003
Sections    : 1
Seekable    : TRUE
Duration    : 00:00:41.914
Signal Max  : 2.99748e+06 (-8.94 dB)

mark@lightning ~ $ aplay Audio/audio2/DigiDesign/voideco/Self\
Esteeme/Self\ Esteeme/Audio\ Files/Lead\ -\ Mark_01.L.wav
Playing WAVE 'Audio/audio2/DigiDesign/voideco/Self Esteeme/Self
Esteeme/Audio Files/Lead - Mark_01.L.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little
Endian in 3bytes, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
Aborted by signal Interrupt...
mark@lightning ~ $

Note: This machine is Gentoo not PlanetCCMRA. Maybe it's a CCRMA
thing? Not at all sure.

- Mark