[PlanetCCRMA] M-Audio Audiophile 2496 not working

Erich Geiger e_geiger@yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 10:17:01 2005

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/8/05, Erich Geiger <e_geiger@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > ====================
> > aplay /sound-sample.wav
> > ====================
> > Playing WAVE '/sound-sample.wav' : Signed 16 bit
> Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
> > aplay: set_params:857: Sample format non available
> > ====================
> >

> So are you sure the card is not working, or is it
> just that aplay
> cannot talk to it with this wave file?
>
> Please install alsaplayer and then try playing the
> file using that.
> Try playing a CD also.
>
> Goodluck,
> Mark

Hi Mark,
It is working with the following command, Tim Meissner
wrote the following email directly to me thank you Tim
for the great tip.
==================
The 2496 works in 24-bit (I think), so you need rate
conversion on-the-fly.  ALSA does this with the
"plughw" plugin, so if you change the
above command to

	aplay -D plughw /sound-sample.wav

you should get sound.  Maybe someone else can explain
further, as I have had problems changing my "default"
plugin so that ALSA can work seemlessly with all my
non-jack apps. I just play dumb and use jack as much
as possible. :-)
==================

If i am using the "aplay" command without the -D
option the i get no sound on the CCRMA distribution,
why do i not have to use the -D option on the
following situation, if i am booting the PC with the
Knoppix CDROM (Live-UNIX CD) this is also using the
ALSA then i am able to use "aplay" command without the
-D option.

I am now able to play sound on the CCRMA Distrbution
with the "aplay -D .." Command how do i start the
qjackctl with the right option for the M-Audio
Audiophile 2496 Sound PCI Card  ?

rgs Erich

http://mail.yahoo.com