[PlanetCCRMA] snd-intel8x0 loaded but no sound on FC3

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Tue Mar 15 11:59:00 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:40:06 +0100, Pierre Proske <drmoth@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Ok I deleted /etc/asound.state, but was unable to regenerate it, even
> after running alsamixer and settings values.
> # /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
> Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
> Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                         [  OK  ]
> Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
> No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
> # alsamixer

Sorry. By googling I see that I was wrong. Apparently it's the command

alsaconf store

that takes the configuration info and writes it to asound.sate. Try
that please. sorry for the mistake.

> >>I was getting some other error messages earlier today, but they
> >>disappeared after I took out some lines I had manually added to
> >>modprobe.conf, opting for the alsaconf lines instead:
> >>Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0
> >>(/lib/modules/2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko):
> >>

> >Humm....this looks strange to me. This sort of thing happens when the
> >kernel you are running does not match up correctly with the modules
> >that are being modprobed. double check that you really are running
> >exactly 2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma.
> >

> No, it seems to be the same kernel:
> # uname -r
> 2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma

Do you happen to have any kernel source code trees under /usr/src? I
know that sometimes on my Gentoo laptop things get confusing for
emerge if the /usr/src/linux link points to the wrong kernel. However
I've not seen that problem with Fedora.

> How do I find out the loaded modules are exactly right for the kernel?
> depmod -a gives no output, it returns successfully..

I believe that you can give the whole path when you do a modprobe buy
hand, so instead of

modprobe snd-intel8x0

you could try

modprobe /lib/modules/2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0

(might need the .ko. Not sure...)

I'm pretty stumped by the problems you're having. I had trouble when I
tried to set up FC3 on my wife's machine 6 weeks ago but they were
hardware problems. I never got as far as working with the Planet
stuff. I eventually gave and used FC2 since our other machines here
use that release also.

I fear I'm not helping you much anymore. I hope the alsaconf store
things fixes up the asound.state issue and it all gets well after
that.

good luck,
Mark