[PlanetCCRMA] snd-intel8x0 loaded but no sound on FC3

Pierre Proske drmoth@tpg.com.au
Sun Mar 13 23:41:01 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:14:31 +0100, Pierre Proske <drmoth@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Hi Mark,
>>I removed the modem module, someone else suggested it as well, but no
>>improvement.
>>When I restart I still get this alsactl message, which appears harmless,
>>and my mixer settings are erased...not related I guess, but is it normal?
>>
>># /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
>>Shutting down sound driver                                      [  OK  ]
>>Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                          [  OK  ]
>>Starting sequencer
>>[  OK  ]
>>Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1267: No
>>soundcards found...     [ FAILED ]
>>

>OK, so in this case the modem driver was not started (good) but left
>over configuration values were left in /etc/asound.state. Erase
>/etc/asound.state (or move it somewhere if you are worried about what
>in it. No need to be) and then try running alsamixer and setting
>values. This will regenerate asound.state with values appropriate for
>the onboard sound chip.
>
>(Assuming it works!!)

Ok I deleted /etc/asound.state, but was unable to regenerate it, even
after running alsamixer and settings values.
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                         [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
# alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory
# alsamixer
# more /etc/asound.state
/etc/asound.state: No such file or directory

>>I was getting some other error messages earlier today, but they
>>disappeared after I took out some lines I had manually added to
>>modprobe.conf, opting for the alsaconf lines instead:
>>Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0
>>(/lib/modules/2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko):
>>

>Humm....this looks strange to me. This sort of thing happens when the
>kernel you are running does not match up correctly with the modules
>that are being modprobed. double check that you really are running
>exactly 2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma.

No, it seems to be the same kernel:
# uname -r
2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma

>>Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0
>>succeeded
>>Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0
>>(/lib/modules/2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko):
>>Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0
>>succeeded
>>Mar 13 18:53:36 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
>>Mar 13 18:53:37 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
>>Mar 13 18:53:37 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
>>Mar 13 18:58:36 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
>>
>>anyway, thanks for your help, and if you have any wild ideas, I'm
>>prepared to try them out...
>>

>I hope the above helps. Again, make sure you know that the modules and
>the kernel are really matched correctly to each other. Also try runing
>/sbin/depmod -a .
>
>good luck,
>Mark

How do I find out the loaded modules are exactly right for the kernel?
depmod -a gives no output, it returns successfully..

Pierre