[PlanetCCRMA] snd-intel8x0 loaded but no sound on FC3

Mon Mar 14 10:23:01 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 17:41, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:14:31 +0100, Pierre Proske <drmoth@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark,
> > I removed the modem module, someone else suggested it as well, but no
> > improvement.
> > When I restart I still get this alsactl message, which appears harmless,
> > and my mixer settings are erased...not related I guess, but is it normal?
> >
> > # /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
> > Shutting down sound driver                                      [  OK  ]
> > Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                          [  OK  ]
> > Starting sequencer
> > [  OK  ]
> > Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1267: No
> > soundcards found...     [ FAILED ]

This is strange, it would seem that alsactl is trying to load a saved
state and failing (is there an "/etc/asound.state" file?). Looks like it
is not finding the soundcard itself? But it just loaded it, apparently
without problems!

> OK, so in this case the modem driver was not started (good) but left
> over configuration values were left in /etc/asound.state. Erase
> /etc/asound.state (or move it somewhere if you are worried about what
> in it. No need to be) and then try running alsamixer and setting
> values. This will regenerate asound.state with values appropriate for
> the onboard sound chip.
>
> (Assuming it works!!)
>

> > I'm listing the following because I'm running out of ideas. Why would
> > regular FC3 work and FC3-ccrma not?
>
> That is strange but I expect it does happen and there's probably a
> good reason when we get to the bottom of it.

Both kernels are different and while the sound drivers are the "same"
bugs surely have been fixed while new ones have surely been created.

> > I was getting some other error messages earlier today, but they
> > disappeared after I took out some lines I had manually added to
> > modprobe.conf, opting for the alsaconf lines instead:
> > Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0
> > (/lib/modules/2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko):
>
> Humm....this looks strange to me. This sort of thing happens when the
> kernel you are running does not match up correctly with the modules
> that are being modprobed. double check that you really are running
> exactly 2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma.
>

> > Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> > Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0
> > succeeded
> > Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0
> > (/lib/modules/2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko):
> > Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> > Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0
> > succeeded
> > Mar 13 18:53:36 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
> > Mar 13 18:53:37 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
> > Mar 13 18:53:37 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
> > Mar 13 18:58:36 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'

Looks like whatever you added had syntax problems......

-- Fernando