[PlanetCCRMA] snd-intel8x0 loaded WITH sound on FC3...fixed

Pierre Proske drmoth@tpg.com.au
Mon Mar 14 14:02:52 2005

I finally fixed my sound...after finding some info from archives of the
Linux Kernel Mailing List

All I had to do was:

> Turn off 'Headphone Jack Sense' and 'Line Jack Sense' mixer switches
> if they are on.

The 'Headphone Jack Sense' is left on by default when I run alsamixer.
Thinking it harmless, I left it on....

The bug is listed at:

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=852

more details about it:

> Subject 	Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: intel 8x0 went silent in 2.6.11
>
>To close this issue out of the LKML and alsa-devel, a bug report has been
>written.
>
>It appears to be an issue with the 'headphone jack sense' (as kde labels
>it).  The issue is in the way the 8x0 addresses the docking station/port
>replicator's audio output jack.  The mentioned quick fix does not work for
>using the ds/pr audio output, but does resolve it for a user that is only
>using headphones/internal speakers.

I'm now enjoying all manner of linux sound!
regards,
Pierre