[PlanetCCRMA] Confusing Sound Issues in Fedora Core 3

Bradley S. Campbell bsc3j@virginia.edu
Mon Mar 14 14:08:01 2005

Hi everyone,

I feel like I'm the same boat as Pierre with all this sound stuff in
FC3.  I do hear sounds in FC3 on startup (i.e. system sounds).  If I use
the libALSA output plugin in XMMS, I can use XMMS to play sounds, but I
can no longer hear system sounds -- I may be mistaken, but I thought the
whole purpose of ALSA was to be able to stream sounds from many
different concurrent applications through one output stream.  This sort
of leads me to my next point -- I've spent the better part of weekend
modifying everything from /etc/modprobe.conf  and ~/.asoundrc files (as
well as many others I probably can't remember right now) from all sorts
of tutorials I've found on the internet, and none really seems to be
well written enough to help me /understand/ what I'm doing -- just
things like "add this crazy incantation with a bunch of flags to some
file -- that should work" -- unfortunately, this hasn't produced much in
the way of results for me.  I know this sounds like me complaining (I'm
really not -- just frustrated), but it's just really frustrating to have
all these amazing applications at your fingertips and not even be able
to use them because you haven't been able to track down some arcane
setting somewhere (and I realize how hard it is to troubleshoot
complicated problems via email -- and I really appreciate all the help
I've gotten thus far).  In particular, I'd really like to use amSynth to
create some sounds for a project I have coming up in a computers and
music class I'm taking.  Everyone seems to be way ahead of me in knowing
what specific files and things to look for when troubleshooting these
types of things -- if someone would be willing to help me out or at
least point me in the direction of something I could read that could at
least let me integrate the many various things I've seen about getting
alsa, jack, midi events and their interplay between soundcards and the
kernel in general, it'd be greatly appreciated.  If someone would be
willing to help me troubleshoot, I'd gladly supply the contents of any
configuration file, system specs, etc. that you would need.

Thanks ever so much,
Bradley Campbell