[PlanetCCRMA] xruns

Fri Jan 28 10:28:02 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 21:37, Joseph Dell'Orfano wrote:
> I am running fc1 with PlanetCCRMA packages, all up to date, on an athlon
> based system with 1G RAM, low latency, tuned HD, etc. I generally record
> with good results on Ardour, with Jack set to a 1024 buffer, with h/w
> monitoring on my delta 1010LT card. However, I sometimes find that xruns
> start after a while. It almost seems like I'm experiencing a memory leak
> somewhere. After some non-specific time, xruns start happening and the
> whole system slows down. ps -aux doesn't show anything unusual going on.
>
> My question is, since I have a rather standard system, has anybody else
> observed this behavior specifically with fedora core 1? I understand
> that many linux audio users are running fluxbox or some other low
> overhead GUI other than Gnome or KDE in order to avoid performance
> issues. Have other planet users had to do this? Any ideas on hunting
> down a memory leak?

Check what's happening with cpu load (does it go up when you start
experiencing xruns?). This could be a denormal problem, some ladspa
plugins (most notably freeverb) have issues with denormals (very very
small numbers that are not zero - the cpu treats them differently and
that is very expensive in cpu power).

-- Fernando