[PlanetCCRMA] Why we we have to use Red Hat?

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Fri Jan 28 07:40:02 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:08:25 -0500, Matt Barber <brbrofsvl@aol.com> wrote:
> ->Well, you can try AGNULA/Demudi instead, it's a bit lighter. Works
> great
> too.<-
>
> It doesn't seem to support as much hardware out of the box, however
> (they're still "officially" using the 2.4 kernel, yes? with an
> experimental and fairly light-weight 2.6.9 kernel?), and needs some
> tweaking if you want some SATA, network, etc. controllers to work or
> work well.  I've been checking out Gentoo, but was saddened when I found
> no csound in the portage tree.  Not sure why that is...
>
> Matt

Matt,
   I hear that Gentoo ebuilds are pretty easy to write. You could take
a crack at it yourself by modifying an existing one, or often, if you
submit a request through the bug reporting system, the developers will
do one and stick it in the ~x86 tree for a while for people to check
out.

   I've pointed out a number of issues in the past couple of years and
had fixes up quickly, often within a couple of days.

   I don't know how to use csound or I'd put one in myself.

- Mark