[PlanetCCRMA] xruns

Joseph Dell'Orfano fullgo@dellorfano.net
Thu Jan 27 21:38:01 2005

Hi all,

I am running fc1 with PlanetCCRMA packages, all up to date, on an athlon
based system with 1G RAM, low latency, tuned HD, etc. I generally record
with good results on Ardour, with Jack set to a 1024 buffer, with h/w
monitoring on my delta 1010LT card. However, I sometimes find that xruns
start after a while. It almost seems like I'm experiencing a memory leak
somewhere. After some non-specific time, xruns start happening and the
whole system slows down. ps -aux doesn't show anything unusual going on.

My question is, since I have a rather standard system, has anybody else
observed this behavior specifically with fedora core 1? I understand
that many linux audio users are running fluxbox or some other low
overhead GUI other than Gnome or KDE in order to avoid performance
issues. Have other planet users had to do this? Any ideas on hunting
down a memory leak?

Thanks.

-Joe D