[PlanetCCRMA] jack server wont start...

Bikehead bikehead@amberpoint.com
Thu Jan 27 09:10:01 2005

I confess right now that I'm completely new to ccrma and its audio
applications so I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, but since I
couldn't find anything in the FAQ or recent posts here it goes:

I'm running FC3 with the entire audo-applications package installed.
I'm running the 2.6.10-0.2.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma kernel.  My sound card works
find with applications like audacity and hydrogen.  However,  I can't
get the jack server to start.  I tried "jackstart" and I got the message
below.  I checked if rtload and rtirq are running and they are.  Can
anyone give me some insight into what I'm doing wrong?

[bikehead@lyre ~]$ jackstart
jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are:
           =ep cap_setpcap-ep
    probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
    a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"

back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
jackstart: could not give capabilities: Operation not permitted
jackd 0.99.36
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

usage: jackd [ --realtime OR -R [ --realtime-priority OR -P priority ] ]
             [ --name OR -n server-name ]
             [ --no-mlock OR -m ]
             [ --unlock OR -u ]
             [ --timeout OR -t client-timeout-in-msecs ]
             [ --port-max OR -p maximum-number-of-ports]
             [ --verbose OR -v ]
             [ --silent OR -s ]
             [ --version OR -V ]
         -d driver [ ... driver args ... ]
             where driver can be `alsa', `coreaudio', `dummy',
                                 `oss' or `portaudio'

       jackd -d driver --help
             to display options for each driver

--